GSAM, US Third Party Distribution, Strategic Advisory Solutions, Portfolio Strategy Team - Associate/VP
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
We're a team of trusted advisors who provide innovative investment solutions to help our clients meet their financial goals. From private wealth to asset management, we work with specialists and groups from around the firm to help high-net-worth individuals and institutions across various industries navigate changing markets and make smart investments. We value self-starters with an entrepreneurial spirit, but still provide the support and resources to ensure your success.
We are seeking a highly commercial and strategic Portfolio Strategist with strong communication and technical skills to join our Strategic Advisory Solutions group within Third Party Distribution. In this role, we are looking for you to create and deliver insight on long-term, strategic portfolio allocation across all investable asset classes (core, satellite, and alternative). In a consultative manner, you will partner with team members to develop asset allocation topics and position ideas with significant commercial impact to clients.
Goldman Sachs Asset Management (GSAM) is one of the world's leading investment managers. GSAM provides institutional and individual investors with investment and advisory solutions, with strategies spanning asset classes, industries, and geographies. We help our clients navigate today's dynamic markets, and identify the opportunities that shape their portfolios and long-term investment goals. We extend these global capabilities to the world's leading pension plans, sovereign wealth funds, central banks, insurance companies, financial institutions, endowments, foundations, individuals and family offices.
TPD sits within GSAM and is responsible for serving clients and driving sales via financial intermediaries including banks, broker/dealers, independent financial advisors, RIAs, retirement platforms, insurance companies and asset managers. This role falls within the Strategic Advisory Solutions (SAS) team of TPD. SAS offers a suite of integrated solutions designed to help our clients grow and enhance their business. SAS' global team of experienced strategists aims to deliver in-depth expertise to help clients understand dynamic markets, design well-diversified strategic portfolios, and implement industry best practices through programs tailored to each organization. Developing and utilizing innovative, differentiated techniques in the areas of strategic asset allocation and customized portfolio analysis, the team enhances GSAM product sales efforts globally by providing a high level of technical and consultative guidance directly to:
- the GSAM sales teams focused on intermediaries serving retail, high-net-worth, and UHNW individual investors, and select segments of the institutional market such as corporate retirement plans
- the advisor clients served by those sales teams
- the home offices or headquarters of the advisor clients
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
- In this role, you will be expected to become familiar with all of the asset classes and techniques used within GSAM's mutual funds, ETFs, and other investment vehicles distributed through the intermediary channels. Some of the team's philosophy can be viewed at: https://www.gsam.com/content/gsam/us/en/individual/resources/portfolio-strategy.html
- Demonstrate acumen for capital markets, economics, and portfolio construction theory
- Assist with all facets of the team's consultative services, including assisting with development, creation, and dissemination of client-facing content, and providing analytical support for various internal and client deliverables
- Deliver content via client meetings and calls, large client conferences, internal sales meetings and calls, and other key events
- Develop training modules and collateral to assist with educating GSAM sales personnel on new investment products or thematic product positioning initiatives
- Research and analyze market trends, competitor offerings and other inputs relevant to the positioning of existing offerings and development of new capabilities
- Leverage strong command of various systems and analytical tools (e.g., Morningstar, Bloomberg, FactSet, Lipper, Zephyr, Strategic Insight Simfund) to develop insightful reports and analyses to assist with sales and client retention
- Field data requests from senior management, sales force, portfolio management teams, marketing and client firms
- Travel may be required up to 25% of the time across the U.S.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 7-10 years of experience in financial services
- Interest in, and understanding of, advanced concepts in investing, economics, and finance
- Deep familiarity with technical capabilities of Excel to design and deliver data-intensive analyses
- Significant familiarity with PowerPoint to create and deliver technical presentations
- Some familiarity with analysis environments such as R, MATLAB, or SAS would be beneficial
- Demonstrated background in one or more of the following: strategic asset allocation, macro investing, portfolio optimization, risk modeling, factor-based analysis, and statistical methods
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with others
- Demonstrated proficiency in multi-tasking, problem solving, and deadline management
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent work ethic and attention to detail
- Commercial perspective
- Significant progress towards, or completion of, graduate degree and/or CFA designations
- Series 7 and 63 will be required soon after joining the firm
- Knowledge of investment management, mutual fund, and/or ETF businesses preferred
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2017. All rights reservedGoldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Meet Some of Goldman Sachs's Employees
Software Engineer, Equities
Using a variety of languages, like Java and Python, Kelsey designs and builds integrated software applications used in Goldman Sachs’ equities business.
Back to top