GSAM, ESG and Impact Investing Client Strategy Analyst - New York or San Francisco
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
We're a team of trusted advisors who provide innovative investment solutions to help our clients meet their financial goals. From private wealth to asset management, we work with specialists and groups from around the firm to help high-net-worth individuals and institutions across various industries navigate changing markets and make smart investments. We value self-starters with an entrepreneurial spirit, but still provide the support and resources to ensure your success.
We are seeking a highly motivated team player for an analyst role within the Goldman Sachs Asset Management (GSAM) Client Business, part of the Investment Management Division (IMD). In this role, you will support the day-to-day needs of the ESG and Impact Investing Client Strategy team to win new business, retain existing assets, and build our division-wide ESG and impact investing initiative.
GSAM delivers innovative investment solutions through a global, multi-product platform that offers clients the advantages that come with working with a large firm, while maintaining the benefits of a boutique. GSAM is one of the pre-eminent investment management organizations globally. Critical to the success of GSAM is our ability to leverage a global team of talented professionals to define solutions and lead change across the operational infrastructure. GSAM works to develop and execute thoughtful investment solutions for clients across the globe. The ESG and Impact Investing Client Strategy team works with clients across IMD's three distribution channels, including institutional, private wealth, and third-party investors. Our diverse client base includes high net worth individuals, family offices, corporate and public pension funds, foundations and endowments, insurers, financial institutions and governments.
Historically, impact investing at GS has often been associated with the Firm's philanthropic and community engagement efforts. In addition, GS has had an important profile through our clean energy financing work in IBD and in the Urban Investment Group's investments in select cities in the US. Much of this impact work was driven from a GS corporate vantage point using balance sheet capital and was not accessible to our clients in IMD, who are increasingly seeking help to integrate ESG and Impact investments into their portfolios
To address this need, in 2014, IMD sought to expand its ability to deliver a wider range of ESG and impact solutions to its clients in a manner that was fully integrated into broader portfolio solutions. ESG and Impact Investing was launched as a division wide initiative in 2014 and bolstered by our 2015 acquisition of Imprint Capital, the largest dedicated ESG and impact advisory business in the U.S. We now have more than 20 full time professionals working on ESG and impact investing across IMD, including our 5-person ESG and Impact Investing Client Strategy team.
The ESG and Impact Investing Client Strategy team is unique in its breadth across IMD – the team works both with relationship managers and their clients and prospects across all three distribution channels, and also with the investing teams across IMD to help design, build, and launch new investment opportunities for clients. Our team can holistically advise clients on a portfolio, implementing an ESG and impact strategy seamlessly across asset classes and investment strategies, with a highly curated investment approach and fiduciary mindset.
Please see the following website for more information about our ESG and impact investing work in IMD and for thought leadership we have published.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
- Work closely with senior team members to execute new business development efforts by coordinating prospect pitches and product presentations and identifying new business opportunities
- Build and manage an industry knowledge base by researching new business opportunities and staying current on industry publications and research, important client developments, competitive landscape, etc.
- Push forward our learning, research, and product development in the ESG and impact investing space, so as to stay on the cutting edge of development in the field
- Respond to informational requests from various sources including clients, prospects and consultants. These requests include: requests for proposals (RFPs) and requests for information (RFIs), consultant requests and client inquiries and updates
- Work closely with senior team members to manage, enhance and develop existing client relationships and ensure all client needs are met
- Work with senior team members to ensure all recurring and bespoke client requests are met on a timely basis, including custom client analyses and presentations on ESG and impact investing strategy and portfolios
- Identify and escalate any sensitive client issues to senior team members; coordinate a timely response to the client
- Coordinate with key stakeholders across the Division, including Portfolio Managers, Operations, Compliance, Legal, Communications, Technology and Product Managers in order to continue to build and enhance our ESG and impact investing capabilities and initiative
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 1 -3 years of work experience at an asset management firm or other financial services organization
- Strong proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Powerpoint and Word) – strong analytical capabilities are desired for this role for tasks such as analyzing the carbon intensity of securities, evaluating the ESG characteristics of portfolios, and helping to design and implement new investment strategies
- Demonstrated interest in, and passion for, ESG and impact investing – we are looking for a candidate to help us push learning, research, and product development on the cutting edge of the field, and hence desire an individual with deep curiosity for ESG and impact issues
- Basic knowledge of, and passion for, the asset management business and capital markets
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and excellent follow-through
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Strong interpersonal skills: Ability to build trust and confidence of colleagues, strengthen relationships through ongoing dialogue and interactions and collaborate well with others internally to meet client needs
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced team environment, including with colleagues based in different regional offices
- Series 7, 63 and 3 licensed or obtained within 3 months of joining
- Undergraduate degree
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2017. All rights reservedGoldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Meet Some of Goldman Sachs's Employees
Software Engineer, Equities
Using a variety of languages, like Java and Python, Kelsey designs and builds integrated software applications used in Goldman Sachs’ equities business.
Back to top