Global Investment Research, Global Markets Institute Internship
About Goldman Sachs
Goldman Sachs’ Global Investment Research division delivers value-added research to clients in the equity, fixed income, currency and commodities markets. Goldman Sachs develops global client-focused research in economics, portfolio strategy, derivatives and equity and credit securities. Our clients use these insights and investment ideas to develop their strategies. Our headquarters are in New York and we maintain significant offices in London, Bangalore, Mumbai, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other financial centers around the world.
About The Global Markets Institute
The Global Markets Institute is the public policy research unit of Goldman Sachs Global Investment Research. In its mission to provide research and high-level advisory services to policymakers, regulators and investors around the world, the Institute leverages the expertise of Research and other Goldman Sachs professionals, as well as other highly-regarded thought leaders, to offer written analyses and host discussion forums.
Working closely with other members of the team, the role of the consultant is to:
- Research topics where policy and the capital markets intersect; examples would include climate change/environment, innovation, science, education and some forms of government regulation
- Support senior analysts on projects/research reports while also developing an independent research platform. Depending on individual experience level, the candidate may be the lead analyst on projects/research reports while also working with other team members on GMI themes.
- Analyze and interpret large amounts of data related to market, economic and political events
- Collaborate closely with other Strategy/Economic groups on various macro projects
- The internship will be a 20 hour per week commitment
- Position will be based out of Goldman Sachs headquarters in New York
Basic Qualifications•Bachelor’s degree requires, MA or PhD helpful
- 3+ years related experience in a research role
- Experience and familiarity with data analysis and presentation
- Research skills, analytical ability and substantive expertise: ability to gather, sort and analyze data from a wide range of sources; familiarity with economics, finance, statistical analysis, and accounting. Previously published research in related fields extremely helpful
- Writing Skills: understanding of how to organize, research and write a client-oriented report with actionable ideas
- Presentation skills: ability to discuss work and conclusions with various groups, and to represent the firm well in public forums
- Judgment: ability to discern good data and information sources from bad sources and to piece together information from disparate sources
- Creative thinking: can take on unstructured assignments and develop appropriate action plans
- Financial market interest: appreciation for the role of the financial markets in the global economy and how policy changes/implications affect that role
- Flexibility: can work concurrently on a wide range of topical issues
- Project management: ability to work independently and take a research project from idea generation through primary research to final written product in a timely manner
- Reliability: take ownership of and responsibility for assignments
- Teamwork: ability to work well within a team as well as with other teams around the firm
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet. © The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2015. All rights reserved.
Meet Some of Goldman Sachs's Employees
Private Wealth Advisor
Sabrina is an entrepreneur within Goldman Sachs’ team-driven culture—mobilizing an elite team of wealth management professionals that help high net-worth individuals identify investment solutions including trusts, endowments, and real estate.
Back to top