Global | IMD GSAM Quantitative Investment Strategies (QIS) Client Portfolio Management -Stewardship Responsibility Group
We're a team of trusted advisors who provide innovative investment solutions to help our clients meet their financial goals. From private wealth to asset management, we work with specialists and groups from around the firm to help high-net-worth individuals and institutions across various industries navigate changing markets and make smart investments. We value self-starters with an entrepreneurial spirit, but still provide the support and resources to ensure your success.
The Investment Management Division works with clients, from individual investors to large financial institutions, to develop advanced portfolio management strategies to help them achieve specific goals for their own or their institution's financial future. The division consists of Private Wealth Management and Goldman Sachs Asset Management (Portfolio Management & Distribution). For additional information on our businesses, please visit our Careers Website at http://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/why-goldman-sachs/our-divisions/investment-management/index.html .
GOLDMAN SACHS ASSET MANAGEMENT (GSAM)
Goldman Sachs Asset Management is one of the world's leading investment managers. With over 2,000 professionals across over 30 offices worldwide, GSAM provides institutional and individual investors with investment and advisory solutions, with strategies spanning asset classes, industries, and geographies. Our investment solutions include fixed income, money markets, public equity, commodities, hedge funds, private equity, and real estate. Our clients access these solutions through our proprietary strategies, strategic partnerships, and our open-architecture programs. Our investment teams represent over 700 investment professionals, capitalizing on the market insights, risk management expertise, and technology of Goldman Sachs. We help our clients navigate today's dynamic markets, and identify the opportunities that shape their portfolios and long-term investment goals. We extend these global capabilities to the world's leading pension plans, sovereign wealth funds, central banks, insurance companies, financial institutions, endowments, foundations, individuals and family offices, for which we invest or advise on over $1 trillion of assets.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Quantitative Investment Strategies (QIS)
The Quantitative Investment Strategies (QIS) within Goldman Sachs Asset Management uses advanced quantitative methods to structure, manage and monitor investment portfolios including hedge funds, mutual funds and separately managed accounts. QIS offers multi-asset strategies as well as equity strategies, including both actively managed portfolios and portfolios that closely track an index. Clients include public, corporate and charitable institutions, high net-worth individuals, retail investors and various portfolio management groups within the division.
Stewardship Responsibility Group
The position offers an opportunity to join the QIS Client Portfolio Management team in Tokyo with a focus on stewardship. At GSAM, stewardship consists of the prudent management of all of a company's resources for the benefit of shareholders and other stakeholders, including employees, consumers, clients and other members of society. QIS believes that stewardship is an important part of its portfolio management responsibilities. QIS fulfills its stewardship responsibilities by continually evaluating companies' corporate strategy, investment and financing activities, management incentives, regulatory policies and environmental impact.
The role, which is new, involves the following:
- Engaging with the management of investee companies on corporate strategy, financial policy, and capital efficiency (profitability) throughout the year, both independently and with portfolio managers.
- Contributing to the ongoing refinement of GSAM's proxy voting policies, and monitoring the latest trends in the market regarding stewardship.
- Working with the various portfolio management teams in GSAM to evaluate investee companies on the basis of environmental, social, and governance factors (ESG).
- Partnering with other teams in GSAM to expand and promote GSAM's commitment to stewardship (e.g., the United Nations Principles of Responsible Investing along with the UK, Japan and Singapore Stewardship Codes).
- Identifying new data sources along with potential systems and process enhancements that together provide an innovative and scalable approach to stewardship.
- 5+years of experience conducting research as a financial analyst, performing shareholder engagement at a publicly listed company, or evaluating governance at a proxy advisory firm.
- Familiarity with the proxy voting process.
- Strong professional character, self-starter, and ability to work as part of a diverse team.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills (fluent Japanese and business-level English).
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
See Inside the Office of Goldman Sachs
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities, and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments, and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Back to top