Finance, Legal Entity Controller, Investment Accounting, Associate, London
We're a team of specialists charged with managing the firm's liquidity, capital and risk, and providing the overall financial control and reporting functions. Whether assessing the creditworthiness of the firm's counterparties, monitoring market risks associated with trading activities, or offering analytical and regulatory compliance support, our work contributes directly to the firm's success. The division is ideal for collaborative individuals who have strong ethics and attention to detail
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
As an Investment Accounting Controller you will take complete ownership of the financial reporting and oversight of legal entities investing in a wide range of real estate assets. You will develop an in-depth understanding of these entities, including their investments, business strategies, and associated technical and management accounting requirements.
We're looking for a bright, driven professional to join our Investment Accounting team, who is keen to use and develop their technical accounting skills to provide high quality reporting and analysis of our real estate investments in a challenging and varied environment.
Controllers are a diverse team of specialists charged with ensuring the firm meets the financial control and reporting obligations of a global, regulated and public financial institution. Investment Accounting Controllers partner closely with the firm's Realty Management Division (RMD) and specialize in providing high-quality accounting guidance for all entities investing in real estate across Europe.
Whether Investment Accounting are ensuring the integrity of our entities' financial information, facilitating RMD's management reporting and business models, or offering analytical support, our work will contribute directly to the firm's success.
As contact with virtually every part of the firm is essential to Controllers, professionals in the department have the opportunity to experience Goldman Sachs businesses, products and sophisticated information technology systems on a daily basis. If you are keen to develop an in-depth understanding of financial services, Controllers is a great place to further your career.
The division is ideal for collaborative individuals who enjoy working in a strong team focused culture, and are motivated by opportunities for challenging stretch assignments. You will receive continuous training, both formal and informal, to ensure your ongoing professional development and have exposure to - and support from - senior members of our team from the outset.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
- PreparAtion, analysis, review and presentation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting to senior management, directors, and other key stakeholders under US GAAP
- Preparation and analysis of financial statements, including resolving complex technical accounting issues and disclosure requirements, and liaising with external auditors (predominately under UK GAAP)
- Review and control of monthly and annual local GAAP financial reporting prepared by our external accounting partners across Europe
- Manage the takedown of new investments and develop processes with external partners to ensure timely receipt of accurate accounting and management reporting information
- Provide oversight of our external accounting partners to assure adherence with local obligations such as tax, regulatory and statutory audits
- Take full ownership and become the subject matter expert for entire legal entities
- Understanding the business and strategy of your entities, keeping up-to-date with business and market developments and communicating this effectively to key stakeholders
- Coordination with multiple teams across the firm - and across the globe - including Realty Management Division, Merchant Banking Division, Legal, Compliance, Tax, Operations, Technology and Investment Accounting teams in Asia and US, in a collaborative and problem-solving capacity
- Proactively seeking opportunities to improve our workflows, technology, and integrity of reporting information
- Involvement in a broad range of cross-divisional projects and initiatives
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE WE'RE LOOKING FOR BASIC QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Recently qualified accountant
- ACA or equivalent
- Able to demonstrate technical accounting knowledge in your current area of expertise
- Experience in preparation of audited financial statements under US, UK GAAP or IFRS an advantage
- A track record of improving processes and adding value to clients/stakeholders
- Strong multi-cultural sensitivities
- You enjoy interacting across countries and cultural areas. Proficiency in a European language (particularly Spanish, Italian or French) is highly desirable.
- Strong analytical skill
- You demonstrate an aptitude for problem solving with the ability to exercise sound and balanced judgment in a highly regulated environment
- Functional expertise - Enjoy keeping up-to-date with emerging business, economic, and market trends
- Strong technical accounting skills
- You demonstrate strong technical skills, pay attention to detail, take initiative to broaden your knowledge and resolve accounting issues
- Personal drive and motivation - Successfully handle multiple tasks, take initiative to improve your own performance, work intensely towards challenging goals
- A client and business focus - Effectively handle difficult requests, build trusting, long-term relationships with clients, help the client to identify/define needs and manages client/business expectations
- Strong teamwork ethic
- You are a strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- You collaborate well with others within and across teams, encourage other team members to participate and contribute and acknowledges others' contributions
- Excellent communication skills - Communicate what is relevant and important in a clear and concise manner and share information/new ideas with others
- Judgement and problem solving
- You will always be thinking ahead, able to anticipate questions, plan for contingencies, find alternative solutions and identifies clear objectives.
- Creativity/Innovation and a desire to add value - Look for new ways to improve current processes and develop creative solutions that are grounded in reality and have practical value
- The ability to influence outcomes - Present sound, persuasive rationale for ideas or opinions. Able to take a position on issues and influences others' opinions and presents persuasive recommendations both internally and to our external partners
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top