Finance - Controllers - Funding - Senior Analyst - Bengaluru
WHO WE ARE
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global financial services firm providing investment banking, securities and investment management services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. The firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Bangalore, Hong Kong and other major financial centers around the world.
BUSINESS UNIT OVERVIEW
Finance is broadly responsible for the firm's financial resource and capital management, financial reporting
and risk monitoring. In these capacities, Finance is the principal adviser to senior management on essential
areas such as controlling the firm's global risk exposure, profitability and capital and other financial resource
allocations of the firm's various businesses.Finance activities are organized into six main areas:
The Controllers, Corporate Insurance and Risk Advisory Group, Corporate Tax, Corporate Treasury, Credit
and Market Risk Management and Analysis.
Finance is a critical area within Goldman Sachs.
As contact with virtually every part of the firm is essential to Controllers, professionals in the department
experience Goldman Sachs businesses, products and sophisticated technology systems in depth. If you want
to develop an in-depth understanding of financial services, Controllers is a great place to begin your career.
You will receive continuous training, both formal and informal, and the support of senior members of our
Product Control and Funding Control is one of the largest departments within Controllers and supports the
trading divisions across all asset classes: Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities, and Equities.
Its main responsibilities are to produce and analyze the daily trading activities, to report the trading
divisions' profits and losses and to verify the values of positions held by the trading desks, both cash and
derivative. This role requires extensive liaison with the trading desks, the Risk Management Group and the
Operations Teams, as well as with colleagues in Controllers. Product Controllers are expected to develop a
good understanding of the products they monitor and of the strategies used by the trading desk to generate
revenue for Goldman Sachs. The function has become increasingly technical in content and offers a
challenging and interesting role, which would suit dynamic, bright and ambitious individuals with a drive to
THE PRODUCT CONTROL MODEL AT GOLDMAN SACHS
- We operate a "complete ownership" model and see this as a "mini-CFO" role with regards a trading
desk, with responsibilities including [plus some of the teams controller liaise with]
- P&L reconciliation [liaising with Operations, Technology and Strats]
- P&L explain [Traders, Strats, Market Risk]
- New trade analysis [Traders and Strats]
- Balance sheet review [Legal Entity Controllers]
- Capital requirements for new trades and ongoing business
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Preparing daily P&L's for trading desks, involving assessment of the nature of revenue generated in the
context of market moves and risk held as well as reconciliation between front office sub-ledger and Firm
general ledger. Price verification; monthly review and challenge of trader inputs into inventory pricing
as well as incremental assessment of less observable inputs.
- To interact effectively and pro-actively with traders and their management.
- Intelligently reviewing trading activity with the objective of informing around the valuation of the
portfolio and also highlighting anything unusual or material to management.
- Assessing risk inherent in trading positions, whether market, compliance or reputational risk etc.
- Knowledge of products and market awareness.
- Producing and reviewing P&L attribution and commentary for the bank's trading, investing and new
- Understanding of the impact of Regulatory Capital rules on a trading desk's ongoing and new business.
- Identifying any trades booked incorrectly in the firm's trade procession systems
- Production and analysis of the balance sheets for a trading desk and understanding and explanation of
- Preparing monthly accounts for posting to the firm's general ledger and producing/reviewing relevant
- Ensuring compliance with all the Firm's financial reporting requirements. Market Risk Controllers,
Credit Risk Controllers]
- Price verification [Traders and Controllers PV group]
- Federal reporting. [Fed reporting teams]
This position description is intended to describe the duties most frequently performed by an individual in this position. It is not intended to be a complete list of assigned duties but to describe a position level. The
role shall be performed within a professional office environment. Goldman Sachs has health and safety polices that are available for all workers upon request. There are no specific health risks associate with the
- Financial Reporting disclosures [Accounting Policy, Legal Entity Controllers]
- More generally being the point of contact within the Federation for a trading desk [Tax, Compliance,
Account and monitor for the Firm's secured and unsecured financing activities.
- Liaising with other Federation departments in a collaborative and problem-solving capacity.
- To be fully informed of all department developments and issues in their trading areas.
- Qualified Chartered Accountant; or other relevant professional financial qualifications (e.g. CFA)
- We will also consider part-qualified candidates currently on other bank ACA/or similar programs
- Good interpersonal skills as complement to technical aptitude
- Strong attention to detail and analytical capability
- Desire to learn and interest in financial markets and products
- Track record of improving processes and adding value to clients/stakeholders
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2019. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top