Engineering - Finance & Risk Engineering - PARA Engineering - Analyst/Associate - Hong Kong/Tokyo
WHAT WE DO
At Goldman Sachs, our Engineers don't just make things - we make things possible. Change the world by connecting people and capital with ideas. Solve the most challenging and pressing engineering problems for our clients. Join our engineering teams that build massively scalable software and systems, architect low latency infrastructure solutions, proactively guard against cyber threats, and leverage machine learning alongside financial engineering to continuously turn data into action. Create new businesses, transform finance, and explore a world of opportunity at the speed of markets.
Engineering, which is comprised of our Technology Division and global strategists groups, is at the critical center of our business, and our dynamic environment requires innovative strategic thinking and immediate, real solutions. Want to push the limit of digital possibilities? Start here.
WHO WE LOOK FOR
Goldman Sachs Engineers are innovators and problem-solvers, building solutions in risk management, big data, mobile and more. We look for creative collaborators who evolve, adapt to change and thrive in a fast-paced global environment.
Are you interested in learning about finance, or perhaps expanding what you know already into financial reporting or risk management, while still staying close to your roots as a software engineer? As a business software engineer in the Finance Engineering team you have the opportunity to impact one or more aspects of financial reporting and risk management, while working in small, nimble teams to provide technical products to meet our constantly changing business needs.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
In Finance & Risk Engineering, you'll find an exciting confluence of computer science, finance and mathematics being used to solve for what our shareholders would like from us and a high return for the right risk taken.
Engineers in Controllers Tech ensure the firm meets all of the financial control and reporting obligations of a global, regulated and public financial institution. Accomplishing this goal entails numerous activities ranging from derivatives pricing and profit and loss calculations to firm liquidity analysis to automated filings to external regulators. An ever evolving regulatory environment demands ongoing innovation to maintain scalable solutions in a changing world.
Product Accounting Reporting, and Analysis (PARA) engineers are responsible for designing and implementing systems to calculate, monitor, validate and report the firm's profit and loss each day. The PARA system processes all the firm's trading activity across the vast majority of product lines traded by the firm ? everything from simple equities and bonds to complex structured derivatives, commodity products, loan products and more. Our team consists of 11 people in London in a team of around 60 globally, and many projects are cross-location, working closely with our business partners and other engineers across the firm.
JOB SUMMARY & REPONSIBILITIES
- Work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment that provides exposure to all areas of Finance
- Interface with the firm's federation and revenue producing divisions, including Finance Controllers, Finance Risk and Securities Division Management teams to understand and document requirements
- Understand business needs, facilitating and developing process workflow, data requirements, and specifications required to support implementation
- Develop technical specifications, high level/detailed design, testing strategies, and implementation plans from business requirements
- Manage end-to-end systems development cycle from requirements analysis, coding, testing, UAT and maintenance
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering or related technical discipline
- Experience in software development, including a clear understanding of data structures, algorithms, software design and core programming concepts
- Comfortable with multi-tasking, managing multiple stakeholders and working as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills including experience speaking to technical and business audiences and working globally
- Can apply an entrepreneurial approach and passion to problem solving and product development
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Interest in finance
- In-depth knowledge of relational and columnar SQL databases, including database design
- Experience with continuous delivery and deployment
- Proficient at working with large and complex code bases
- Comfortable working in highly dynamic and rapid development environment (Agile development experience)
- Technologies: Linux and shell scripting, TDD (JUnit), build tools (Maven/Gradle/Ant), Scala, Spark, Tableau
- Strong programming experience in at least one compiled language (e.g. C, C++, Java)
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
See Inside the Office of Goldman Sachs
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities, and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments, and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Back to top