Engineering - Data / Analytics Software Engineer
WHAT WE DO
At Goldman Sachs, our Engineers don't just make things - we make things possible. Change the world by connecting people and capital with ideas. Solve the most challenging and pressing engineering problems for our clients. Join our engineering teams that build massively scalable software and systems, architect low latency infrastructure solutions, proactively guard against cyber threats, and leverage machine learning alongside financial engineering to continuously turn data into action. Create new businesses, transform finance, and explore a world of opportunity at the speed of markets.
Engineering, which is comprised of our Technology Division and global strategists groups, is at the critical center of our business, and our dynamic environment requires innovative strategic thinking and immediate, real solutions. Want to push the limit of digital possibilities? Start here.
WHO WE LOOK FOR
Goldman Sachs Engineers are innovators and problem-solvers, building solutions in risk management, big data, mobile and more. We look for creative collaborators who evolve, adapt to change and thrive in a fast-paced global environment.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
We are hiring people who want to work on interesting challenges with a global impact in the financial sector. We have 1.5BN lines of code running across a huge infrastructure. We also give back to the Open Source community (e.g. Eclipse collections) and stay close to the start-up scene. Our people have complete product ownership; requirements, coding, testing and deployment. We run a low friction SDLC where you learn from peer code review. You will help us progress toward our goal of continuous build and cloud deployment everywhere.
We like to run a lean and flat structure where everyone is happy to help out. We love to learn and offer robust training resources, including free access to Pluralsight, Safari books, Harvard Business Review and Egghead training platforms. We run internal MOOC-like curated learning, soft skills education, a women's mentoring program and more. We have a culture of giving back; last year over 25,000 of our people volunteered on 1,600 community projects across the world.
The front-office strats team continuously challenges the status-quo of the conventional approaches in financial services.
We are seeking bright individuals to join us in building the next generation of analytics systems and products running against large scale complex financial data sets. We are looking for candidates who have:
- Excellent software engineering skills
- Passion to deliver - our job is not done until the system works and makes bottom-line impact
- Quantitative rigour - data is drives everything we do
- Creative drive - we face unique problems daily that require applying unique quantitative approaches
- Great communication skills - as daily coordination with our global teams is essential
- Work as part of the strats team. Deliver software components for data flow, analytics and UI from conception to production. Share ownership of end-to-end development and deployment of the front-office system
- Work with large and complex financial data sets unique to our business. Provide insights to data, build visualisations based on quantitative methods
- Interact closely with local and global engineering and other front-office teams
- Work with various technologies including Java/Python or C++, Linux, relational DBs/SQL and Goldman Sachs' proprietary technologies: Slang and SecDb.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Strong academic background in a quantitative discipline (eg Computer Eng. / Science, Mathematics)
- Strong programming skills in one or more of Java, Python, C++
- Solid understanding of algorithms data structures, hands-on detail-oriented attitude
- Strong knowledge and experience in relational database technologies (eg Sybase/Oracle) and SQL
- Experience with basic automation scripting tasks required in Linux / Unix
- Full software development life-cycle experience
- Big data tools, distributed/data frameworks (Hadoop, Spark) is a plus
- Exposure/background in financial services/products, front-office background is a plus
- Experience in building data / analytics pipelines is a plus
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top