Distributed Scheduling Production Engineer- New York
- New York, NY
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
The Distributed Scheduling team at Goldman Sachs is responsible for the firm's job scheduling and batch execution ecosystem, ephemeral and FaaS compute frameworks, internal software delivery tooling, and monorepo development/build environments. Production Engineers on the team write software to build reliability for this critical production infrastructure used across all divisions, from Equities to Legal, Commodities to Human Capital Management.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
What you will do
* Own technical operations for systems that manage hundreds of thousands of CPU cores
* Build observability for new deployments to ensure robustness from day one, as well as mature deployments to identify and implement improvements
* Design, develop, and deploy cloud-based replacements for legacy bare-metal installations
* Dig into issues with block devices, file descriptors, and packet loss; lead real-time outage investigations and present postmortems to senior management
What you have
* Comfort in a programming language: we're primarily Python 3 and Go -- with some Scala and Erlang, interest in Rust -- but believe in the best tool for the job and care about analytical thinking more than specific syntax familiarity
* Tales of tcpdump and strace: our modern code leverages Jaeger/OpenTracing to ease debugging, but first-principles Linux systems and networking knowledge is a must
* Interest in SLOs/SLIs: continually executing an application's "typical user journey" to store health metrics in a time-series database is invaluable for us and has support from the C-suite
* Curiosity: no hesitation before consulting the source or ssh'ing to an unfamiliar machine (or a thousand) when documentation is insufficient or charts don't make sense; "if a human built this, a human can figure it out"
* Pragmatism: desire for long-term strategic ideals paired with awareness of when it's appropriate for immediate-term fixes to add tech debt
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2021. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top