Compliance, Market Surveillance Group, Associate/Vice President
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
Our division prevents, detects and mitigates compliance, regulatory and reputational risk across the firm and helps to strengthen the firm's culture of compliance. Compliance accomplishes these through the firm's enterprise-wide compliance risk management program. As an independent control function and part of the firm's second line of defense, Compliance assesses the firm's compliance, regulatory and reputational risk; monitors for compliance with new or amended laws, rules and regulations; designs and implements controls, policies, procedures and training; conducts independent testing; investigates, surveils and monitors for compliance risks and breaches; and leads the firm's responses to regulatory examinations, audits and inquiries. You'll be part of a team with members from a wide range of academic and professional backgrounds, such as law, accounting, sales, and trading. We look for those who possess sound judgment, curiosity, and are able to adapt to a changing regulatory landscape.
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global financial services firm providing investment banking, securities and investment management services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other major financial centers around the world.
The Market Surveillance Group sits within the Financial Crime Compliance Group, a centralized surveillance function within the Global Compliance Department.Market Surveillance focuses on firmwide information barrier surveillances and enforcement of firmwide trading policies. The group strives to establish advanced technology-based trading surveillances to detect potential insider trading, market abuse, and/or violations of firmwide trading policies. Market Surveillance focuses on establishing surveillance to cover all business units and employees worldwide. The opportunity within Market Surveillance exists in the New York office and will focus on information barrier surveillances, ad-hoc investigations arising from internal escalations and regulatory inquiries, as well as project-based work on building out trade-surveillance parameters underpinning new surveillance technologies.
- Review and analyze trading alertsgenerated from automated information barrier surveillances, focusing on potential insider trading and market manipulation scenarios
- Research market-moving events and create market color, conduct an analysis of the trading in the context of this market color, develop and support a recommendation
- Investigate potential trading issues flagged by the business units, such as the Securities Division and Investment Banking
- Liaise with the Compliance Surveillance Analytics Group and Compliance Information Technology in the development, review, and testing of new automated surveillance models and output
- Coordinate with the Anti-Money Laundering Group globally on trading-related investigations and potential escalations
- Pursue ad-hoc projects related to trading around market-moving news events such as merger & acquisition announcements, offerings, corporate accounting scandals, etc
- Participate and potentially lead working groups that focus on enhancing controls/quality of the trade surveillance program
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors Degree • At least 2 years of relevant experience in a compliance, surveillance, trading, research or other finance related function that provided exposure to capital markets or trading analysis
- Advanced MS Excel and PowerPoint skills (Pivot tables, VLookup, experience with large data sets, proficient in data manipulation and presentation.) • Proficiency with Bloomberg, Reuters and other market data tools and aptitude for research • Interest in capital markets, current events, and financial news • Ability to identify and explain basic trading strategies • Experience/working knowledge of fixed-income securities, equity options and other derivatives such as CDSs and CFDs • Strong communicator, comfortable developing a recommendation and supporting it by presenting and explaining analysis • Team player with great attitude and work ethic • Ability to multi-task on several different assignments/projects • Interest in working on a global team dealing with global businesses • Series 7/63 preferred
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2017. All rights reservedGoldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Meet Some of Goldman Sachs's Employees
Software Engineer, Equities
Using a variety of languages, like Java and Python, Kelsey designs and builds integrated software applications used in Goldman Sachs’ equities business.
Back to top