Compliance, Investment Banking Division Compliance, Associate
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
Our division prevents, detects and mitigates compliance, regulatory and reputational risk across the firm and helps to strengthen the firm's culture of compliance. Compliance accomplishes these through the firm's enterprise-wide compliance risk management program. As an independent control function and part of the firm's second line of defense, Compliance assesses the firm's compliance, regulatory and reputational risk; monitors for compliance with new or amended laws, rules and regulations; designs and implements controls, policies, procedures and training; conducts independent testing; investigates, surveils and monitors for compliance risks and breaches; and leads the firm's responses to regulatory examinations, audits and inquiries. You'll be part of a team with members from a wide range of academic and professional backgrounds, such as law, accounting, sales, and trading. We look for those who possess sound judgment, curiosity, and are able to adapt to a changing regulatory landscape.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Job Summary & Responsibilities
The candidate will be an integral member of the compliance team ("IBD Compliance") covering the Investment Banking Division ("IBD"). IBD offers an array of investment banking activities, including underwriting, lending and advisory services, to clients in a wide variety of industry sectors.
The IBD Compliance team is responsible for assisting Goldman Sachs bankers with business, regulatory, legal and compliance matters. In addition to working collaboratively with fellow team members and global counterparts in IBD Compliance, the candidate will regularly interact with IBD business professionals, other compliance teams and other Goldman Sachs departments, including Legal, Internal Audit, Finance, Operations, Technology and the Conflicts Resolution Group.
The candidate's responsibilities would include:
- Providing advice and compliance oversight to IBD personnel on transactions, new business initiatives and significant business changes affecting the firm, as well as compliance, regulatory and reputational issues.
- Developing and implementing policies, procedures and best practice standards for IBD.
- Creating and implementing new controls and surveillances to mitigate risks to the firm by analyzing the transactional processes used in the Investment Banking Division, as well as the activities and actions of individual bankers.
- Assisting other compliance teams in monitoring IBD activities to help ensure adherence to applicable laws, regulations and firm policies and procedures, including developing and executing surveillance and other forensic compliance programs.
- Creating and implementing live and online compliance training programs to educate business professionals on applicable compliance requirements, legal issues and regulatory changes.
- Assisting in responding to regulatory inquiries and investigations.
- Required Experience/Skills: The candidate should:
- Be detail-oriented and able to produce quality, even when working under tight time frames.
- Be able to effectively summarize, communicate and defend positions.
- Be a critical thinker who is willing to challenge the status quo.
- Possess strong analytical, organizational, researching and fact-gathering skills.
- Be a proactive team player, who enjoys working collaboratively.
- Be a quick learner who can adapt well to a fluid regulatory and business environment.
- Possess effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Have the ability to multi-task and adapt to new situations and a dynamic work environment.
- Work well under pressure and have a positive, hands-on, "can do" attitude.
- Be a quick learner and self-starter, with the ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Be creative, with the ability to devise and implement innovative solutions.
- Bachelors degree and JD required
- 2-4 years experience in compliance, law and/or finance, preferably related to investment banking transactions, is a plus
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2017. All rights reservedGoldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Meet Some of Goldman Sachs's Employees
Software Engineer, Equities
Using a variety of languages, like Java and Python, Kelsey designs and builds integrated software applications used in Goldman Sachs’ equities business.
Back to top