Compliance - Data Control Group - Data Quality - VP - Bengaluru
Our division prevents, detects and mitigates compliance, regulatory and reputational risk across the firm and helps to strengthen the firm's culture of compliance. Compliance accomplishes these through the firm's enterprise-wide compliance risk management program. As an independent control function and part of the firm's second line of defense, Compliance assesses the firm's compliance, regulatory and reputational risk; monitors for compliance with new or amended laws, rules and regulations; designs and implements controls, policies, procedures and training; conducts independent testing; investigates, surveils and monitors for compliance risks and breaches; and leads the firm's responses to regulatory examinations, audits and inquiries. You'll be part of a team with members from a wide range of academic and professional backgrounds, such as law, accounting, sales, and trading. We look for those who possess sound judgment, curiosity, and are able to adapt to a changing regulatory landscape.
BUSINESS UNIT OVERVIEW
The Compliance Data Control Group ("CDCG") is a newly formed group within Compliance that helps develop and implement strategies focused on the quality of systematic data that Compliance uses to conduct its daily responsibilities, such as surveillances and other Compliance functions that address key risks or fulfill regulatory obligations. The Group works closely with other teams across Compliance and also with Technology and potentially other stakeholders to develop the necessary tools and metrics needed to accomplish this mission.
On a risk basis, CDCG collaborates with stakeholders in Compliance and Compliance engineers (which include both Compliance Technology and Surveillance Analytics, a "strat" or "quant" group within Compliance), and interact with business-side engineers that provide data to Compliance, to promote data quality in Compliance-owned functions that systematically consume, use or generate data. CDCG helps these stakeholders review data sourcing and flows, and data quality processes and controls, through to data outputs, as part of assessments made in light of Standards designed to facilitate the completeness, accuracy and timeliness of data, including in the context of system and other changes. The goal is to identify opportunities for data control enhancements where necessary, to leverage data control solutions across similar compliance functions, and eventually to create a consistent and centralized process to monitor the continued health of data quality controls. To function effectively, CDCG must incorporate an understanding of both data quality risk and the underlying compliance and regulatory risks the data-dependent Compliance functions are designed to mitigate, such as market abuse, money-laundering, improper sales practices, etc.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Common for all roles
• Help expand the CDCG embedded resource program by partnering or interacting with Compliance staff (including Surveillance Analytics), and Compliance Technology, and business-side data provider engineers as needed, to develop and/or enhance system controls for surveillances and other Compliance functions
• Examine data sourcing, including by verifying data flows on a risk basis, and reviewing design and operation of existing data quality controls
• Identify enhancements to existing data-related controls and help drive prioritization
• Help develop functional specifications and testing use cases for data-related controls where appropriate
• Monitor or confirm monitoring of data-related controls exceptions by working with Compliance and Engineering teams
• Help develop and/or enhance systematic processes (e.g., dashboards) for collecting, analyzing and escalating data quality issues
• Help coordinate issues, observations and practices with colleagues across regions and/or divisions
• Help drive a consistent data quality approach and methodology across Compliance areas, products and regions
Generation of management reports
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
• STEM degree or comparable knowledge of statistics, data analysis and data systems
• Excellent communication skills with ability to articulate the technical and functional aspects of control development and data-related production issues to help drive solutions with senior stakeholders
• Experience/working knowledge of pre and post trade flows ranging from order management, allocations, trade processing, positions and ledgers
• Strong problem solving background that includes identifying patterns, analyzing root causes and proposing solutions to resolve issues
• Ability to present program updates to senior management
• Finance or financial risk management degree, or comparable knowledge of capital markets and financial products
• Experience with data quality or data governance issues
• Ability to deploy and develop data analytics and reporting techniques for designing and monitoring effectiveness of controls
• Knowledge of data management tools including SQL, relational database management, ETL, and big data solutions (Hadoop etc.)
• Background in designing, developing and testing effectiveness of data-related controls
• Experience in monitoring and investigating potential data quality anomalies
• Ability to work with Compliance and engineering teams on control design and implementation, and follow up of issues identified during assessments or controls monitoring
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top