(Senior) Director of User Experience
GoCanvas is revolutionizing how work gets done by modernizing small businesses through powerful cloud based customizable apps and mobile experiences. We are seeking a Senior Director of User Experience to champion our users through every aspect of the product development lifecycle and beyond. As a product-forward company, we focus on our customers and users, and we believe the Senior Director of UX role is essential in meeting our customers’ needs and expectations, and delighting them with a truly exceptional user experience.
As the Senior Director of User Experience, you will lead a team of UX designers, graphic/visual designers, and user researchers to understand users inside and out, represent their interests during roadmap and prioritization decisions, and develop engineering-ready specifications, such as wireframes, mockups, and other assets as part of an Agile development process. As you continue to build out the team, you will also prioritize and plan the design effort across the team and contribute directly by doing a substantial amount of hands-on design work yourself.
As a critical leadership role within the Product team, this position reports to the Chief Product Officer.
- Lead a team of UX designers, UI/graphic designers, and user research to represent end users throughout all aspects of the product development lifecycle
- Research, define, and maintain user personas, user mental models, and design principles, and information architecture
- Develop and maintain a style guide and pattern library to be used by design, prototyping, and front-end engineering functions, co-own and help to maintain brand guidelines with the marketing team
- Directly contribute to design deliverables, operating as an individual contributor when necessary and providing team guidance as needed for projects assigned to other team members
- Deliver all assets necessary to maintain high product development throughput including web, mobile, and desktop mockups, wireframes, and other graphical/visual elements working very closely with product managers
- Through the team, support other functions within the company requiring creative/design expertise, including marketing and professional services
- Plan design work and project manage asset development several iterations ahead, prioritize user research, exploratory design work, validation work, and specification development as needed to meet all development milestones
- Be a thought leader in UX both inside and outside the company, represent the user’s interests and expectations while contributing to product roadmap and development priority decisions
- Attract, hire, and retain the area’s top design talent and provide a creative and collaborative working environment for the team to consistently produce high-quality design deliverables
- 8+ total years of experience in software product design, including 5+ years as a hands-on UX designer
- 3+ years managing a design team working on functional interactive software applications
- Experience working in an agile/lean software development environment
- Bachelor’s degree or better from a top university with an educational focus on HCI or similar discipline
- Strong interest in product design, up to speed on latest trends, immersed in industry best practices
- Relentless focus on customers and their desires, thinking, constraints, opportunities, etc.
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of the organization and with end users
- Technical acumen, awareness of front end code capabilities and constraints across all standard form factors
- Value data over opinions, observations over hearsay, validation over assumptions, and actions/change over the status quo
- Ability to make decisions using a combination of quantitative and qualitative data when available, and to rely on acquired design judgment when unavailable
- Extremely high attention to detail in planning, managing, producing, and polishing design deliverables individually and across a team
So, What’s GoCanvas?
GoCanvas is a mobile platform that makes it simple for business to automate how work is done, replacing outdated process and expensive paperwork. The GoCanvas App works on smartphones and tablets, helping companies easily collect information across their organization, share it instantly with others and gain real-time insight on their business operations. GoCanvas can be easily customized by all types of businesses to empower their workforce, unleashing the value in data across the organization to help better connect with colleagues and engage more effectively with customers. Automating millions of workplace activities for well-known brands like Pepsi, Honda and Red Bull means there's a good chance you have been around someone using GoCanvas in the past 24 hours, making us one of the fastest growing mobile platforms in the world.
Named as one of “the 10 best business apps you need right now” by CNN, GoCanvas has been featured as a leader in the mobile app space in The Washington Post, TechCrunch, DCInno, and Entrepreneur Magazine, among others. Network World recently highlighted our corporate volunteer program, called Ante Up, which encourages employees to adopt a not-for-profit they’re passionate about, donate the GoCanvas technology and spend two weeks of paid time off in the field learning how they do business. We’re proud to have been honored as a Washington Business Journal Best Place To Work 2016 and to have won the Northern Virginia Technology Council’s 2016 Hot Ticket Award for Hottest Company Culture. We’re on a mission to continue fostering an amazing culture for people who like to make an impact and enjoy collaborating.
What GoCanvas Brings
We believe hiring the right people is THE most important thing we do. We take our company values seriously and look for these traits in everyone we hire: Empathy, Innovation, Authenticity, Impactful, Team Player and Cheeky/Fun Loving. We believe in giving people the freedom to get things done, but that they should also have accountability for their key metrics, think and act like owners of our business and be able to work in a flat organizational structure. We provide an environment that allows for innovation and creativity as well as a chance for highly motivated individuals to have fun at work.
We’re based in Reston, Virginia and have offices in London and Sydney. We highly recommend you read the blog found here to learn more about our unique culture from our founder and CEO James Quigley.
While we believe culture trumps perks, we are proud to provide a comprehensive benefits package designed to meet our team members’ needs.
- Competitive Compensation
- Equity Ownership
- Entrepreneurial Vacation Policy (sometimes known as unlimited vacation)
- 14 Company-Paid Holidays, which rotate annually, but always include Earth Day and one other day significant to GoCanvas, such as Steve Jobs’ birthday
- An ideal Reston Town Center location with an abundance of FREE covered parking, dozens of restaurants, 45 retail stores, a movie theater, outdoor concerts, all within walking distance of the office
- Company-Subsidized healthy lunches
- Medical Insurance, where the Employee Only level of coverage is free!
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account depending upon your medical plan selection
- Basic Term Life Insurance and Personal Accident Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- 401k plan
- Parental Leave
- Commuter Benefits
Must not require work permit.
No 3rd party recruiting firms submitting candidates from job sites.
Meet Some of GoCanvas's Employees
Mobile App Consultant
Jordan is responsible for qualifying leads. She reaches out to businesses, learns about their processes, and explains the GoCanvas product to see if it’s a good fit—then sets up sales demonstrations with potential clients.
Back to top