Director, Legal Affairs
Glossier is looking for its next in-house legal hire! The ideal candidate is a bright, energetic, experienced, business-minded and self-motivated attorney with at least 7 years of experience (prior in-house, start-up experience a big plus). In this position, the successful candidate will interface with our business team leaders to ensure compliance across our marketing, creative and retail teams and provide general commercial contracts support to the business.
6 Month Expectations:
- Become day-to-day legal partner for all contracts and projects originating with the marketing, creative and retail teams.
- Build out / improve template library for creative and marketing engagements (e.g., influencer agreements, model agreements, sponsorship agreements, etc.)
- Work with regulatory and product marketing to solidify review and approval process for marketing copy across all channels and to evaluate and validate product claims for Glossier products
- Work with retail team to hone legal playbook for Glossier’s pop-up strategy
- Manage / identify outside counsel in areas of coverage
12+ Month Expectations:
- Establish regular training cadence on legal matters affecting areas of coverage (e.g., FTC .com disclosures, FTC influencer guidelines, relevant false advertising / NAD decisions and activity)
- Establish process for Glossier-produced shoots, ensuring that contracts are in place, all necessary licenses and permits are secured and potential SAG/AFTRA issues are thought through
- Work with creative team on implementation of digital asset management system
- Provide substantive support to the rest of the legal team on an as-needed basis
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Inclusive, courageous, discerning, curious, and devoted the the customer
- Education and Experience
- J.D. from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials and at least 7 years of relevant experience (prior in-house, start-up experience a big plus
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the New York State Bar.
- Strong understanding of regulations/FTC and FDA compliance relating to cosmetics, OTC products and/or consumer products is a plus
- Interpersonal Skills and Competencies
- Extremely bright but also have an EQ that matches your IQ, and ability to deal effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Detail-oriented, organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills
- Has a practical, business-oriented approach to problem solving and is able to effectively counsel clients by providing them with clear, concise and commercial advice, and creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs.
- Has a strong desire to learn the business and function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team.
Glossier is a beauty company that lives in NYC, is sold on the internet, and promotes a skincare first philosophy that celebrates beauty in real life.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Glossier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.
Back to top