We are looking for someone to design the future of data at Glossier and lead and develop the team to build it. Data is a critical function at Glossier, with resilient, reliable access to data being a key strategic priority. As the leader on the Data Engineering team, you will be responsible for building and improving our data infrastructure that enables better decisions by the business and drives operational efficiency across the organization.
The perfect candidate will have strong data infrastructure and data architecture skills, a proven track record of leading and scaling data engineering teams, strong operational skills to drive efficiency and speed, strong project management leadership and a strong vision for how data can proactively improve companies. This leader will be a key member of the Data leadership team, working closely with Data Science, Business Intelligence and the broader Engineering team.
- Proactively drive the vision for Data Infrastructure and Data Warehousing and define and execute on a plan to achieve that vision
- Define the processes needed to achieve operational excellence in all areas, including project management and system reliability
- Build and manage a high-quality Data Engineering team and design the team to scale
- Build cross-functional relationships with Data Scientists, Product Managers and Software Engineers to understand data needs and deliver on those needs
- Drive the design, building, and launching of new data models and data pipelines in production
- Design alerting and testing to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of these pipelines (improve instrumentation, optimize logging, etc.)
- Define and manage SLA’s for all data sets and processes running in production
- Partner with Platform Engineering to create and maintain a resilient infrastructure
- MS degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or equivalent
- 6+ years experience in the data warehouse space
- 6+ years experience in custom ETL design, implementation and maintenance
- 6+ years experience working with either a Map Reduce or an MPP system
- 6+ years experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling
- Strong affinity towards designing serverless architecture
- Proven track record of excellence in initiating and driving cross-functional projects
- Mastery of SQL and fluency in at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, etc.)
- Experience scaling and managing 5+ person teams
- Project management and SDLC experience
About your application and the interview process
Glossier is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you’re unsure about your qualifications for this position, we still encourage you to apply. We’re looking for engineers who have experience, but know that not everyone’s had a chance to use the technologies in our stack. What’s most important is that you have a growth mindset, and know how to reliably ship software.
Our interview process typically involves a phone screen with an internal recruiter, followed by an exploratory conversation with our Head of Data Analytics & BI and then a technical exam to evaluate your technical and analytical skills.. After that, we’ll invite you to our offices for an on-site interview on a range of technical and interpersonal topics.
Glossier is a beauty company that lives in NYC, is sold on the internet, and promotes a skincare-first philosophy that celebrates beauty in real life.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Glossier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.
Back to top