Business Development Manager, Technology (Corporate Markets)
Business Development Manager, Technology, Media, & Telecom
GLG founded more than fifteen years ago, has developed a network of leading experts to provide business decision-makers with insights to drive better, more informed outcomes. Initially serving investment firms, GLG has grown to support professional services firms and corporations across every industry.
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone who is entrepreneurial and wants to build a business with a best-in-class management team, many of whom have worked in leading management consultancies, investment banks and operating companies.
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to run their own book of business by managing the firm’s relationships with some of the world’s leading TMT (Technology, Media & Telecom) operating companies, with a primary focus on large Internet and Enterprise Software companies that are headquartered on the West Coast.
The position’s primary mission is to accelerate new sales, improve revenue retention, and expand the firm’s user base within large and mid-cap TMT clients by continually evolving and improving the firm’s value proposition for its clients. This person will be responsible for specific bookings and gross margin targets, among other key performance indicators. With proven success in commercially driving revenue and profit growth, the candidate may have the opportunity to build a team of sales professionals on the West Coast to support the expanding book of business over time.
This candidate will also need to be comfortable and confident working with senior leaders across both the internal organization and within their clients, including selling into SVPs, EVPs and CXOs of large TMT clients.
He/she will report to the Vice President of TMT Sales and work closely with other members of senior management, including the Global General Manager of TMT, the Head of New Markets, and the CEO as the vertical’s contribution to the firm begins to expand. He/she needs to be able to thrive in a fast paced, energetic and rapidly shifting environment. He/she will also need to have the drive and desire to build this business into one of the top verticals at the firm.
Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Drive Commercial Success: The successful candidate will leverage his/her own professional network to build new relationships at Internet and Enterprise Software clients for the firm and engage at a granular level with industry executives on topics of critical importance to their businesses. The candidate will meet with senior level prospects and clients regularly to articulate the firm’s value proposition, especially with respect to new technologies and product development, sales and marketing practices, end-market intelligence and other topics of relevance to Technology, Media and Telecom clients.
- Strategic Vision and Product Expansion: Building on the successful franchise the firm has established in the Technology, Media and Telecom segment, the candidate will continually enhance customer targeting, segmentation and outreach while refining the firm’s value proposition in the segment. The candidate will further develop the firm’s service offering, and explore opportunities for new product and channel development, including executing an event strategy to attract and retain clients. This person will continually assess industry trends, the marketplace, competitive behaviors, customer preferences, and best marketplace practices.
- Team Building and Collaborative Learning: The candidate will engage regularly with business development and research colleagues to co-develop client-specific value propositions, communicate industry-specific insights across the team, and provide mentorship to teammates as they develop. The candidate will help to recruit market-leading talent to the firm, develop those professionals through teaching in the apprenticeship model, and retain those individuals through meaningful professional experiences.
An ideal candidate will have the following:
- 5-8 years of experience in the TMT sector in Strategy, Product Management, Marketing, Innovation, or New Business Incubation roles
- Deep professional network in TMT, especially within the marketing and product organizations of Internet and Enterprise Software companies
- Desire to drive a strategic account plan for a book of clients and rapidly grow revenue in a business unit in its infancy stage
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Executive presence, the ability to interact with senior professionals at Fortune 500 Companies
- Ideally, some familiarity with the firm’s product as a prior user
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment
- The highest level of integrity and professionalism
- Ideally, an MBA or equivalent advanced degree
About GLG / Gerson Lehrman Group
GLG is the world's leading platform for professional learning. Business leaders, investors, consultants, social entrepreneurs, and other top professionals rely on GLG to learn in short- and long-term engagements from a membership of more than 500,000 experts. Clients partner with GLG to address their most complex strategic challenges, make better business decisions, and advance their careers through conversations, mentorships, small group convenings, surveys, and other interactions—all within a rigorous compliance framework. Global, technology-driven, and nimble, GLG’s 1,300 employees work in 22 offices in 12 countries.
We believe strongly in our mission- and values-driven culture. Our core values drive our success. They are: learning & curiosity, responsibility, courage, judgment, fresh perspective, service, and integrity.
To learn more, visit www.GLG.it.
Meet Some of GLG's Employees
Director & Head of Client Solutions for North American Financial Services
Gentry uses his economics and sales background to understand the larger picture of the service economy—ensuring that Financial Services Council Members provide clients with the essential professional learning tools.
Back to top