Business Development Manager, San Francisco
Business Development Manager
The Business Development Manager is responsible for developing and growing relationships with top-tier financial services clients on the West Coast. Our clients are some of the most sophisticated investors in the world including hedge funds, private equity, venture capital, long only investment managers and investment banks. The BDM will be responsible for deepening relationships with existing investment professionals while identifying new and potential GLG advocates within current accounts and prospective clients. This is accomplished by regularly presenting GLG’s platform and engaging with top-level decision makers to identify opportunities for thoughtful collaboration. The role leverages GLG’s CRM tools to track and map client accounts and demands teamwork with our internal colleagues to deliver a differentiate solution to our clients.
Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Be a key team member in accelerating the growth of GLG’s West Coast business
- Develop and negotiate professional service retainers for existing clients and new business prospects across the full line of GLG’s services
- Directly work with investment professionals (from Associate up to Partner-level contacts to increase awareness of GLG, engage them to drive successful investment outcomes, resolve business issues and challenges, deliver GLG solutions to meet their needs and add value to their investment process
- Work creatively and collaboratively with internal colleagues—sales, marketing, legal, research, finance, technology—to deliver solutions to solve complex business issues.
- Build account plans, set account growth objectives, and quarterback client service teams to achieve those objectives
- Communicate GLG’s mission, vision, and strategy and premium value proposition
- Represent the core values that underpin GLG’s culture
Goals and expectations:
- Tight coordination with client coverage team (business development, research, special solutions, compliance, etc.)
- Help build and execute annual account plans
- Increase engagement levels with client firm
- Improve penetration across client investment professionals
- Prospect into new buying centers and assigned prospect targets
- Lead renewal process to achieve high retention rates and growth
- Help drive attendance to GLG events
- Stay informed about the financial markets in order to spot trends, look for new opportunities and establish credibility with our clients by understanding their business.
Key performance metrics for the BDM include:
- Establishing relationships with new contacts at client firms, building strong client teams internally, achieving YOY client revenue growth, increasing advocates for
- GLG’s services at client firms, and building adoption of new products and systems. Candidates should be comfortable articulating the value of our services over the phone and, importantly, in person.
Candidates must have a clear track record of excellence in several categories, including: teamwork, professionalism, communications, organization and client service.
Candidates should also possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required in addition to a minimum of 6+ years of demonstrated successful professional experience ideally including financial services sales
- The ability to build strong and lasting relationships with key decision makers in client firms;
- Ability to work well independently and be self-motivated;
- A strong passion for persuasion, especially around complicated and intellectually challenging issues.
- Superior verbal communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to read and understand people
More broadly, we seek bright, positive and flexible people who:
- Act with the highest integrity and professionalism in all their endeavors
- Lead others to do the same
- Have creative and entrepreneurial mindset; are interested in helping to build a business and to be compensated according to performance
- Have demonstrated ability and initiative to handle increasing responsibility over time
About GLG / Gerson Lehrman Group
GLG is the world's leading platform for professional learning. Business leaders, investors, consultants, social entrepreneurs, and other top professionals rely on GLG to learn in short- and long-term engagements from a membership of more than 500,000 experts. Clients partner with GLG to address their most complex strategic challenges, make better business decisions, and advance their careers through conversations, mentorships, small group convenings, surveys, and other interactions—all within a rigorous compliance framework. Global, technology-driven, and nimble, GLG’s 1,400 employees work in 22 offices in 12 countries.
We believe strongly in our mission- and values-driven culture. Our core values drive our success. They are: learning & curiosity, responsibility, courage, judgment, fresh perspective, service, and integrity.
To learn more, visit www.GLG.it.
Meet Some of GLG's Employees
Director & Head of Client Solutions for North American Financial Services
Gentry uses his economics and sales background to understand the larger picture of the service economy—ensuring that Financial Services Council Members provide clients with the essential professional learning tools.
Back to top