Technical Development Chemist
Provide process chemistry support for existing and new processes on site to ensure that the site's technical, quality and safety metrics are all achieved.
Be the chemistry expert for assigned processes
We are now hiring a number of technical development chemists for our plant in Cork - these positions will be permanent and also fixed term contract positions
Being able to understand and state different perspectives, or develop at least two different
options for the way forward simultaneously.
Being flexible and open-minded to facilitate ways of continuously improving performance
aligned with the business needs.
Supporting the efforts of others to develop. Using relevant training options to enhance the
skills and knowledge of self and others. Recognising the achievements and efforts of others.
to develop themselves.
Seeking to raise levels of performance by establishing an improvement process, or setting
specific, measurable targets and goals linked to GSK business needs.
Constantly seek to improve performance. Non-acceptance of sub-standard processes
Drive change implementing plans and holding self and team fully accountable for delivering short
and medium-term goals.
Overcome obstacles and barriers by finding alternative solutions. Seek to remove
Taking an initiative (a clearly interconnected set of activities) designed to raise
the 'value added' to customers.
Seek to understand what the customer requires. Work to develop relationships with
the customer via the high performance teams
Aiming to see issues through the 'eyes of another'. Being non-evaluative and
non-judgmental about understanding the views of others, even when this view conflicts
Build strong relationships with the customer via high performance team
Interpersonal Skills Demonstrated ability to work as part of a cross-functional team. Ability to work across teams and functions.
Clear communication skills
Accountability Scope of Responsibility
• Acquire a detailed knowledge and understanding of the chemistry of the relevant processes including
- Development History, including boundary conditions.
- Impurity formation and control.
• Complete any laboratory troubleshooting & investigative activities
• Be responsible for the completion of laboratory development projects on schedule for the relevant processes.
• Actively contribute to development initiatives such as those required to improve process understanding, process control, process capability, robustness, yield and throughput.
• Ensure appropriate tools & metrics are in place to monitor the key technical parameters for the process
• Prepare technical documentation to support manufacturing, e.g. Manufacturing Batch Records, laboratory SOP's, process steps, PQ protocols, PQ reports, CMC chemistry descriptions, technical training material etc.
• Provide training to the Operations team personnel as necessary.
• Ensure all process changes made have safety and quality considerations as core attributes.
• Lead & participate in rigorous technical risk assessments for plant changes/product introduction
• Carry out necessary investigations of all quality and yield issues.
Lead contribute to the resolution of technical investigations on plant.
• Liaise with Secondary to ensure all secondary issues are dealt with, e.g. specific customer packaging requirements, specifications, technical issues as they arise
• Liaise with procurement to support procurement cost reduction and security of supply projects. Provide technical support to the evaluation and assessment of suppliers
• Provide technical support for Capital engineering projects relating to NCE's, existing products, and major process re-development.
• Actively participate or lead and coordinate the site input into the Technology Transfer process from R & D or other sites ensuring that the processes and technologies involved are suitable for commercial production on site.
• Provide chemistry feedback tocChemical development on early phase NCE's
• Provide process chemistry input for site impact assessments
• Maintain an active process chemistry knowledge repository ensuring that all product knowledge is maintained, readily accessible and updated.
Decision making Responsibility
• Technical accountability for technical decisions on product. Key approver/initiator for technical change, batch and validation documentation
• The ability to solve problems is a key skill for this role.
• The ability to use personal knowledge and expertise is essential. An understanding of when to escalate issues and when to draw on the expertise of others is also required.
• Effective use of problem solving tools such as RCA is a requirement.
Environmental Health Safety (EHS) Responsibilities Scope of Responsibilities
• Perform duties in a compliant manner and behave in accordance with site SOP's, GSK EHS standards and guidelines and relevant legal requirements
• Report all accidents, incidents and any EHS issues using the appropriate process /system to your line manager or, if required, the Occupational Health Advisor.
• Maintain work area in an inspection ready state and clean as you go to maintain good safe housekeeping standards.
• Be aware of the impact of your job activities on EHS issues
Quality Responsibilities/Scope of Responsibilities
• Perform duties in a compliant manner and behave in accordance with our Quality Management System requirements.
• Participate fully in our site's quality initiatives and ensure that all relevant quality standards are adhered to.
• Maintain GMP standards where appropriate to your role
• Read and understand relevant Standard Operating Procedures and Global Quality applicable to role
• Management Policies relevant to your job role.
• Attend training and complete assessments as required.
B.Sc in Chemistry
• M.Sc or PHD in Organic Chemistry
Green Belt qualification
• A minimum of 12 months experience from a relevant background
• 3 years experience in API manufacturing support or process development would be preferred
On job description
On job description
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top