Sr. Automation Engineer
Are you seeking an exciting opportunity to demonstrate your automation and project leadership expertise within the pharmaceutical industry? If yes, this opportunity with our dynamic team may be the right opportunity for you to explore.
In this position you will have the opportunity to execute the major elements of the site Automation Strategy and provide Lead Process Automation expertise (Pharmaceutical Fill/Finish/Packaging) to the Zebulon site within a multi-disciplinary and extended team of Automation, Instrumentation, IT, Control engineers, external contractors and consultants. Successfully deliver compliant (financial, regulatory (e.g. cGMPs), GAMP) instrumentation, automation, business and control systems for new and existing pharmaceutical facilities, Building Management Systems and Environmental Monitoring Systems at Zebulon.
- Maintain a detailed and expert knowledge of current and future automation technologies and be the site expert in a minimum of 3 of the following disciplines: Field Instrumentation, PLC, SCADA, Historians, Manufacturing Execution Systems, Virtualization and Integration Technologies - middleware, OPC, XML.
- Responsible for the delivery of high value automation projects to meet business requirements in terms of functionality, cost, quality and time.
- Provide process automation expertise and lead safety assessments where appropriate. Insure compliance with all role related GSK policies, procedures and local codes.
- Interface and build robust partnerships with key site functions including Production, Technical, Planning, Engineering and Quality to ensure technology designs deliver agreed benefits.
- Participate on area extended management teams as necessary and actively manage automation group requests from the business for support or new projects.
- Interface and partner with the GSK community of Shared Services, Centers of Excellence and other sites to contribute, share, and leverage technology and maintain standards as appropriate.
- Insure performance management systems are in-use (Standard work) to manage individual priorities and responsibilities.
- Deliver measurement and control of Quality Critical Attributes (QCA) and help develop the associated Process Critical Control Points (PCCP) through use of appropriate control systems to ensure predictable and stable process operations.
- Provide training and support for onsite Users / Engineers in Automation technologies and applications.
- Provide subject matter expertise to regulatory inspections and interact with auditors as necessary.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelors Degree in a Science or Engineering related discipline.
- 5+ years detailed experience delivering Automation technology within the Pharmaceutical industry or other relevant regulated industry.
- Hands-on programming and trouble-shooting skills for Automation, Instrumentation and IT systems.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Masters Degree in a Science or Engineering related discipline.
- Experience and working knowledge of Serialization Systems.
- Ability to interface with operational and senior management within the organization.
- Understanding of FDA PAT initiatives and the impact on the Pharma industry.
- Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing experience; Black Belt or Green Belt desirable
- Technical expertise in several scientific and engineering automation areas including ISA standards, P&ID nomenclature, instrumentation and electrical wiring diagrams, communication networks, control panels, HMI, MES (Propack, Aspentech), SCADA (RSViewSE, iFix, Wonderware) and PLC (Rockwell, Siemens) Programming, Historians (Aspentech) and SAP.
- Set up and configuration of Siemens PLCs.
- A sound understanding of Software testing (FAT / SAT) and commissioning procedures.
- A sound scientific and engineering understanding of pharmaceutical secondary processing, preferably in a pilot or manufacturing environment.
- Good knowledge of IT architecture management, data warehousing & implementation processes.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and practical experience of computer and application validation (preferably using GAMP methodology), cGMPs, and 21 CFR Part 11 in an FDA regulated environment.
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Working knowledge and understanding of EHS Practices with respect to the installation of automated plant.
- A good appreciation of FDA PAT initiatives and the impact on the Pharma industry.
- SPC techniques and applied application to improve / measure product manufacturing and quality.
- Proven track record in providing automation support and maintenance for instrumentation, automation and controls.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top