Senior Specialist - Statistical Software Developer
- Master's degree in computer science, software engineering, statistics, economics, or mathematics, or another degree with a strong applied quantitative component.
- 2-5 years of related work experience and/or PhD with experience in statistical programming using R and/or software development in a team are a MUST.
- A strong foundation in programming and/or web development.
- Experience with setting up and using distributed version control systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of your time.
- Continuous delivery tools such as Jenkins & Docker.
- Linux operating systems and web frameworks.
- Server administration.
- Reproducible research & sweave/knitr.
- Data warehouses.
- English a MUST. French & other languages a plus.
Please see "Basic Qualifications"
Who We Are:
Within GSK Vaccines we are part of a larger non-clinical statistics team supporting Technical R&D (TRD) in process, product and analytical development for novel vaccines.
We will provide this team and the wider organization with innovative tools to transform data into knowledge and understanding, thus allowing better decision making, ultimately ensuring reliable supply of higher-quality products. We will define statistical methods and develop automated reports and interactive applications in line with current and future expectations of regulatory authorities.
We are looking for a Software Developer with a passion for statistics - or a Statistician with a passion for programming and a good foundation in software development.
In close contact with the project statisticians you will implement existing and new statistical models for recurring analyses in the R / Shiny framework (see e.g. https://www.shinyproxy.io/ or https://www.openanalytics.eu/r-service-bus).
However, we are not only looking for somebody developing professional, state-of-the-art, and user-friendly interactive applications and validated reports for our internal customers, but also somebody who will help the team get up to speed with respect to coding standards, version control, tracking and request tools, etc.
Ultimately, by becoming a vital part of our team, you support our mission to "change the way people think about statistics"...
Profile & Responsibilities:
- You will be passionate about application development, programming, statistics, and data visualization.
- You get thrilled if you can simplify peoples' lives by automating standard tasks and you get excited when the push of a button yields a result which previously took hours to get.
- You can raise the bar with respect to programming, coding standards, version control, etc.
- You are aware of modern concepts of software development and validation and take an active role in shaping our team strategy together with our quality department:
- You have worked with a distributed version control system and can help us define our needs and discuss them with IT.
- You are familiar with request tools and can support us to establish and sustain such a tool for all statistical requests within the larger team.
- You are familiar with the concepts of agile software development (e.g. Scrum) and can help us developing prototypes ("minimal viable product") faster and deploy them more frequently.
- You will have appetite for improvement and view your job as a continuous learning activity:
- You take pride in what you do, and how fast you do it.
- You enjoy mentoring your team mates in your strengths.
- You take personal responsibility for determining what you are going to do to help your team meet its objectives every day and every sprint.
- You consciously work to become T-shaped in your technical and process skill-sets.
- You use velocity and quality as your process yardsticks, and fitness of the software as your technical yardstick.
- You are able to clearly articulate results in written form and in presentations for both technical and non-technical audiences.
At GSK we provide a supportive working environment, and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best. GSK is proud to promote an open culture, encouraging people to be themselves and giving their ideas a chance to flourish. GSK is an equal opportunity employer.
Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. Our R&D department seeks to discover and develop new vaccines, to protect against diseases where vaccines are not yet available and to improve on those vaccines that already exist. Part of our R&D programme targets diseases particularly prevalent in the developing world, including the World Health Organisation's three priority diseases - HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. Research into candidate vaccines for other diseases of the developing world, such as dengue are at an earlier stage of development.
When it comes to developing the vaccines of the future, we're looking for real experts in their respective fields who are interested in working in the stimulating environment of an international healthcare company.
We emphasise the value of teamwork and we look for people ready to share our values of transparency, respect, integrity and patient focus.
GSK is one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies – is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
GSK Vaccines is one of the world's leading vaccine companies, with a comprehensive portfolio of 39 vaccines for infants, adolescents and adults and 15 more in development. We have more than 16,000 people working worldwide to deliver nearly 2 (1.9) million vaccines every day to people in around 90% (172) of the world's countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top