Senior Specialist - Bioinformatics
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Engineering, Statistics, Physics, Molecular Biology, Genetics, or a similar discipline with a strong focus on Methods Development and Algorithmic Bioinformatics.
- The successful applicant needs to have strong problem-solving skills, a profound background in scientific software development and analysis workflow management.
- The incumbent will be well organized, open-minded, and able to work on different projects in parallel, and have a user-orientated spirit.
- In addition to excellent analytical, organizational and team-working skills, the candidate will need to have an innovative approach to problem solving and be able to work both independently and as part of a larger team.
- Experience working in complex, matrix organizations expected; experience leading projects in a matrix environment preferred.
- Strong background in "Omics" (DNA, RNA, Epigenetic, Proteomic) Data Analysis and Biological interpretation.
- The incumbent should have good communication skills in English and an open, proactive personality to work in a team of international researchers.
- The candidate should have a track record of scripting or programming in languages such as Python, Perl or R to develop and implement pipelines for analysis or to optimize tools.
- Proficiency using R and Bioconductor packages and knowledge of SQL desirable.
- Knowledge of other languages, such as Java or C/C++ would also be an advantage.
- Experience working with Linux high performance computer clusters and cloud based computing platforms.
- Working knowledge of commercial and publicly available biological databases including NCBI, Ensembl, ArrayExpress/GEO, SRA, TCGA, 1000 Genomes etc.).
- Strong interest and experience in Biological Data Analysis and Scientific software development.
See "Basic Qualifications"
GSK Vaccines is seeking for its CMC Statistical Science department within Technical R&D an Expert Scientist to run and develop Bioinformatics pipelines and tools to facilitate the analysis of massive parallel sequencing data. The candidate will be a hands-on contributor in a global collaborative environment, embedded in research projects involving Genomic/ Transcriptomic/ Methylomic characterization of cell banks, vaccine seeds (bacteria and virus) and adventitious agents via Metagenomics, Comparative Genomics, Taxonomy, Transcript Analysis and Genome characterization. The candidate will also integrate Genome information with other Biological Data (e.g., Proteomics, Metabolomics, SNVs, CNVs) to identify strains/genes leading to development of next generation QA/QC solutions. The candidate will also contribute to the building of novel Bioinformatics/data analysis pipelines for the analysis of multi Omics high throughput data, including MS and NMR data as well as product and process CQAs within the framework of Quality by Design.
- The main focus of the role will be developing / creating new, and optimizing existing, large scale analytical pipelines for the analysis of a large number of NGS samples, taking charge of pipeline development and other analytical projects to ensure that high quality results are delivered to clients.
- You will be writing scripts / coding in Python, Perl, R or a similar language and optimizing / developing tools to achieve this, as well as implementing software and packages from external sources, and working closely with internal departments and external customers and specialists to ensure that the pipeline matches required needs.
- In addition to hands-on coding work, you will be liaising with collaborators on shared projects and performing analysis of a wide range of data sets associated with NGS and other technologies such as MS and NMR; and also working with SQL based databases.
- The successful candidate will assist and monitor the production, as well as lead the analysis, management and integration of massively parallel sequencing data generated from a range of sequencing instruments and methodologies. The main task will be the design, implementation and maintenance of complete computational workflows and pipelines required for efficient and timely delivery of large-scale sequencing data including their comprehensive informatics processing and biological analysis.
- Using state-of-the-art concepts from computational biology, algorithmic bioinformatics and Biostatistics is expected, and prior experience in one of these areas is thus of particular interest.
- Implement core pipelines for base calling, de-multiplexing, data quality control, sequence alignment, variant calling, quantifying gene expression and peak calling.
At GSK we provide a supportive working environment, and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best. GSK is proud to promote an open culture, encouraging people to be themselves and giving their ideas a chance to flourish. GSK is an equal opportunity employer.
Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. Our R&D department seeks to discover and develop new vaccines, to protect against diseases where vaccines are not yet available and to improve on those vaccines that already exist. Part of our R&D programme targets diseases particularly prevalent in the developing world, including the World Health Organisation's three priority diseases - HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. Research into candidate vaccines for other diseases of the developing world, such as dengue are at an earlier stage of development.
When it comes to developing the vaccines of the future, we're looking for real experts in their respective fields who are interested in working in the stimulating environment of an international healthcare company.
We emphasise the value of teamwork and we look for people ready to share our values of transparency, respect, integrity and patient focus.
GSK is one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies – is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
GSK Vaccines is one of the world's leading vaccine companies, with a comprehensive portfolio of 39 vaccines for infants, adolescents and adults and 15 more in development. We have more than 16,000 people working worldwide to deliver nearly 2 (1.9) million vaccines every day to people in around 90% (172) of the world's countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top