Senior Scientist, Vector Process Development
GSK's Cell & Gene Therapy Platform CMC team is being expanded to support an increasing portfolio of cell and gene therapies. The team is responsible for delivering the Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) aspects of the projects from early phase to launch and the development of innovative technologies to enable step-change improvements to cell & gene therapy manufacture.
GSK has a significant collaboration in the T-cell immunotherapy field with Adaptimmune and other licensing/partnership opportunities are being pursued. The progression of our own portfolio together with the maturation of emerging gene therapy technologies creates an imperative for GSK to now increase our investment in this space and establish an end to end leading platform. This will facilitate delivery of the portfolio as well as ensuring that GSK is able to capture the potential of the emerging technologies in other therapeutic areas.
A highly motivated, independent individual with a track record of scientific achievement is sought to work within this team. Your duties will include and are not limited to:
• Work collaboratively with Cell & Gene Therapy Platform CMC vector, analytical and cell process development scientists to establish robust processes, for the production and purification of viral vectors (lentivirus and AAV).
• Define and execute experimental strategies and analyze results to establish lentivirus processing platforms including in-process testing/controls delivering high lentivirus production and recoveries whilst maintaining product quality.
• Contribute to the definition and delivery of process development programmes outsourced to external Contract Manufacturing Organisations.
• Conduct studies to develop and validate innovative technologies and approaches to make step-change improvements in process efficiency
• Support development of a portfolio of ex-vivo gene therapies from early to late stage by providing input to project teams, directing development work, reviewing data and supporting regulatory interactions
• Responsible for compliant, clear and concise documentation and/or presentation of all experimental studies and results
• PhD in biology, biochemistry, gene/cell therapy, biopharmaceuticals, or vaccines with 0-3 years of industrial experience, or B.S./M.S. in Bioprocess/Biochemical/Chemical Engineering/Chemical with > 7 years of industrial experience
• Experience with working in a lab environment and performing standard mammalian cell culture, purification, or biochemistry techniques
• Extensive theoretical and practical understanding in protein or virus production, protein purification, or protein chemistry
• Knowledge of common unit operations used in upstream and downstream processing
• Knowledge of in-process analytical methods or assay development
• Motivated and fast learner with excellent communication and presentation skills, and the ability to work effectively in team and matrix environments
In addition to the basic qualifications the preference is that you also have:
• Process development experience in upstream or downstream areas for viral vectors, biopharmaceuticals or vaccines. Examples include bioreactor work, preparatory chromatography, ultrafiltration.
• Experience in optimization and scale up of upstream and downstream processes for the production or purification of clinical grade lentivirus, adeno-associated virus (AAV) or other biomolecules
• Hands-on experience with analytical techniques in studying viral vectors, cell based products, biopharms, or vaccines
• Understanding of cGMP guidelines
• Demonstrable ability to work independently
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery for strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top