Senior Safety Engineer
Senior Safety Engineer
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and consumer healthcare companies and is committed to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
In Malaysia, GSK has established a strong presence for over 50 years and is home to our operations in the area of pharmaceuticals, consumer healthcare, manufacturing, and Business Services Centre. GSK employs over 1000 staff in Malaysia.
GSK is an exciting, rewarding and dynamic place to work. We thrive to be different from the conventional corporate ways of working. We pride ourselves on exemplary leadership and sense of community, and we offer a great platform for your personal and career development.
GSK Global Manufacturing & Supply
GSK's Global Manufacturing & Supply (GMS) plant produces leading consumer brands, services 13 global markets including Australia and New Zealand and is a leader in Good Manufacturing Practice and 'Premise/Factory of Choice" for industrial excellence in the region.
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Safety Engineer to join our EHS Team. This role is mainly to provide environment, health and safety (EHS) support in accordance with the requirements of the local EHS legislations (in particular, the Workplace Safety & Health Act, Environmental Protection and Management Act, Fire Safety Act, etc.), GSK Global EHS policies and standards and GSK Global Engineering Standards.
Policies and Regulations
- Advise Senior Management on all aspects concerning occupational safety and process safety, occupational hygiene and environmental protection to ensure compliance with corporate EHS and Engineering standards and local statutory requirements.
- Ensure that all EHS requirements and procedures are strictly followed by all personnel working on site.
- Co-ordinate and follow up on matters arising from external audits and inspections carried out by corporate personnel and local authorities.
- Ensure that all processes on site have a basis of safety for the prevention of major accident hazard scenarios.
- Develop, implement and monitor site process safety plan in line with GSK and site-specific objectives.
Inspection and Audit
- Conduct regular audit of the EHS management system and inspection of the work environment.
- Ensure that system is in place for regular audit of Basis of Safety files.
- Introduction of New Process, Technology and Product Manufacture
- Conduct Process Hazards Identification and Risk Assessment (such as HAZOP and SIL assessments) for new process, technology and product manufacture.
- Liaise with the relevant local authorities (such as NEA, PUB, JTC, etc.) to obtain approval for the introduction of new process, technology and product manufacture.
- Carry out pre-commissioning EHS checks of new plants and facilities as well as major plant modifications.
Training and Education
- Provide appropriate training for staff and contractors. Such training includes:
– General EHS awareness.
– Risk assessment.
– Chemical hazards of new process, technology and product manufacture.
- Ensure that staff has adequate process safety competency to carry out their work.
- To keep himself updated on recent advances in EHS areas.
- Compile the in-house chemical hazard evaluation summary based on information available in the Corporate Safety Data Sheets database.
- Review risk assessments carried out by other departments.
- Participate in project EHS review and advise initiating departments on EHS measures required for plant modifications and new installations.
- Ensure all process safety incidents are investigated.
- Understand both local and corporate requirements, guidelines, policies, procedures as promulgated by various EHS authorities e.g. Corporate EHS standards, DOSH, DoE
- Improvement of process capability within Manufacturing and Packaging Value Stream using Lean Sigma and Operational Excellence tools and techniques and identifying / driving / leading continuous improvement projects
- Bachelors of Engineering / Health and Safety or equivalent
- Registered Workplace Safety & Health Officer or Fire Safety
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience.
- Experience in risk assessment and management.
- Knowledge of local regulations and EHS requirements.
- Experience in leading investigation, inspection and audit.
- Knowledge in process safety.
- Awareness of business requirements.
- Good relationship with local authorities.
- Expertise in general safety including process safety, machinery safety, construction & manufacturing.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top