Senior Process Design Manager - Technical R&D
- Master in (Applied) Science or Engineering or relevant discipline such as biotechnology. A PhD and/or an MBA would be a plus.
- A proven track record in and thorough understanding of value-driven product & process design & development focusing on time-to-market and cost-effectiveness is a massive asset.
- Significant professional experience in a scientific-technological environment. Ideally this includes first-hand experience in the biotechnology (i.e. Vaccines) or pharmaceutical sector.
- Experience in leading and managing teams is an advantage, as the role may involve the management of the VcDM team.
- Experience in cutting edge product & process development, preferably, but not limited to the biotechnology field.
- Ideally, proven hands-on experience in a commercial manufacturing setting, at minimum a thorough understanding of commercial manufacturing; ideally, but not limited to the biotechnology / Pharma sector.
- Experience in or understanding of (project & portfolio) valuation methods and business case development.
- Knowledge of any process economic modelling & scheduling tools (e.g. Biosolve process, Superpro Designer, SchedulePro, Bio-G) is a plus.
- Knowledge and true appreciation of value of new trends in (vaccine) bio-manufacturing.
- Familiarity with modern manufacturing and control paradigms, such as Advanced process control (also in the context of QbD / PAT), automation & robotics, auto-nomation or (Semi-)Continuous Manufacturing.
- Familiarity and interest in concepts such as "Single-use & closed systems"; "New approaches in facility design, flexible factories and modular facilities"; "Cell-free and synthetic antigen design".
- Proven knowledge of the business side of the industry, preferably an additional thorough understanding of the Vaccine industry specifics as well.
- Open-minded & collaborative approach.
- Networking capability & elaborate (Bio)pharma or vaccines network.
- Excellent communication & influencing skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in DFSS principles.
- Strong decision making and influencing skills.
- Excellent command of the English language, French and other language a plus.
- Strong drive for excellence.
Please see "Basic Qualifications"
Can you design the cutting edge vaccine processes of the future? Do you enjoy challenging the status quo? Are you a recognized expert when it comes to using disruptive technology when designing new processes? Can you lead a group of experts to accelerate change and drive large impact innovation?
If this is you, then you could become a founding and leading member of the newly formed group Value-centered Design & Modeling (VcDM) that has the mission to transform the way we develop new products, methods and processes.
The Technical R&D (TRD) Process Design Expert will lead & champion the mission of the Value-centered Design & Modeling (VcDM) group that will act collectively as change agents to ensure the application of new technologies & manufacturing concepts in technical product and bio-process development that deliver value to our internal customers and the market place. The focus will be on transformational initiatives that:
- Improve speed to market.
- Improve cost-effectiveness.
- Enable to achieve competitive product differentiation.
The TRD Process Design Expert will be active at the TRD Lead-Team level and drive strategic design intent & phase-appropriate bio-process design in collaboration with the Technical Development Leaders, Technical Project Managers and the Functional departments. The TRD Process Design Expert will be supported by the Innovation Expert, the Process Analysis & Simulation Expert and the Simulation and Modelling Expert who are all part of the VcDM group. Together, you will bring novel or alternative approaches to product & process development that are shown to add value through economic modeling & simulation.
The TRD Process Design Expert will set-up transversal workflows engaging the commercial organization, manufacturing strategy & manufacturing science & technology departments to build & safeguard value throughout the product life cycle.
The VcDM group is part of a larger Statistical Science organization and hence offers plenty of opportunities for close collaboration and personal growth with the Statisticians and Data Scientists.
- Lead the building of the VcDM framework & operating model with the VcDM & TRD leadership to ensure successful delivery of the VcDM mission.
- Drive process & product development strategy (strategic intent & roadmap) and ensuring value-driven and phase-appropriate biomanufacturing process design in technical product development. E2E in the development cycle from early development up to and including tech transfer to commercial manufacturing and E2E in the bio-process from cell culture and fermentation up to and including formulation and filling. The role implies a holistic approach covering risk management, analytical method development, PAT/QbD application, QA/QC, RA & EHS aspects a.o. in the design scope as well.
- Liaise intensively with the Global Industrial Operations (GIO) and Global Vaccines Commercial (GVC) organization to ensure alignment with commercial and manufacturing strategy expectations.
- Collaborate with the Manufacturing Science & Technology (MSAT) group and other partners in the GIO organization to ensure value capture of the E2E process design in the commercial manufacturing setting.
- Lead and collaborate with the other functions of the VcDM group (process modeling/process analysis & simulation & innovation) to enhance value in the product development programs in scope.
- Support & steer economic analysis and business case development.
At GSK we provide a supportive working environment, and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best. GSK is proud to promote an open culture, encouraging people to be themselves and giving their ideas a chance to flourish. GSK is an equal opportunity employer.
Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. Our R&D department seeks to discover and develop new vaccines, to protect against diseases where vaccines are not yet available and to improve on those vaccines that already exist. Part of our R&D programme targets diseases particularly prevalent in the developing world, including the World Health Organisation's three priority diseases - HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. Research into candidate vaccines for other diseases of the developing world, such as dengue are at an earlier stage of development.
When it comes to developing the vaccines of the future, we're looking for real experts in their respective fields who are interested in working in the stimulating environment of an international healthcare company.
We emphasise the value of teamwork and we look for people ready to share our values of transparency, respect, integrity and patient focus.
GSK is one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies – is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
GSK Vaccines is one of the world's leading vaccine companies, with a comprehensive portfolio of 39 vaccines for infants, adolescents and adults and 15 more in development. We have more than 16,000 people working worldwide to deliver nearly 2 (1.9) million vaccines every day to people in around 90% (172) of the world's countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top