Senior Control Systems Engineer
GSK has had a factory in Ulverston since 1948. When it opened, the factory produced penicillin and one of the early visitors was the scientist who discovered the drug, Sir Alexander Fleming. The antibiotics produced in Ulverston today help save the lives of millions of people in over 100 markets worldwide.
We are currently looking to recruit a Senior Control Systems Engineer to provide and manage the design, procurement, installation, testing and subsequent maintenance and support of site process control systems and to ensure that they continue to comply with business and regulatory requirements.
This diverse and challenging role will also incorporate technical & line management of engineers and support staff, utilising external consultants and contractors as necessary, to deliver control engineering projects and maintenance for the site.
The key responsibilities for this role are as follows -
• Take a lead role in Managing and implementing the delivery of control and other site systems and ensuring these meet the user requirements, are on time and within budget
• Provide support and implement maintenance strategy as required to ensure all systems are highly available for the business
• Apply company procedures to ensure that the systems are delivered, installed and tested to comply with validation requirements and HSE legislation
• Design solutions for a complete project scope using PLC, DCS & SCADA, including control philosophy and systems level design
• Prepare and approve specifications, test protocols, or other documents to define functionality.
• Implement PLC & DCS code i.e. ladder & sequential code to an outline spec
• Configure SCADA systems
• Ensure that installed systems continue to meet the needs of the business by liaison with the Operations Area staff, coordinating or implementing change as agreed and maintaining the validated state throughout the lifecycle of the process
• Provide technical and managerial leadership in one or more discipline area, and take responsibility for other staff, GSK & contract, as appropriate to the situation
How do you apply? - Closing date for applications will be Wednesday 10th June 2018.
When applying for this role, please ensure you use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to clearly describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter will be used to assess your application.
Internal applications - In accordance with GSK policy, it is an employee's responsibility to notify their line manager when they have been selected for an internal interview. We may be seeking a reference from your current manager; therefore, if you have not already informed your manager of your application, please do immediately.
HNC/HND in an electrical engineering discipline, or relevant experience, as well as a demonstrable track record in a process manufacturing environment
In depth knowledge of working with Control Systems/Instrumentation e.g. PLC, SCADA, DCS, MES etc.
Ability to plan, organise and communicate effectively at all levels
Capable of leading small groups of internal/external staff efficiently and economically to a common objective
Degree in a relevant engineering discipline
Thorough experience of Emerson DeltaV, implementation, programming and support.
Excellent working knowledge of Allen Bradley PLC hardware and programming specifically ControlLogix
Detailed exposure to SCADA applications & components i.e. iFIX/Visual Basic/SQL/Windows O/S/Networking
GSK is a science-led global healthcare company. We research and develop a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare.
We have a significant global presence with commercial operations in more than 150 countries, a network of 89 manufacturing sites, and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Belgium and China.
Our global manufacturing and supply (GMS) teams are responsible for making and shipping the products that help people do more, feel better, live longer. We have more than 27,000 people in GMS, across 86 sites in 36 countries. Together, these people help to produce 4 billion packs of medicine.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top