Regional Category Manager, R&D
There are two vacancies available
• The Regional Category Manager is responsible to support the spend of > 20 m£ (estimate) with direct responsibility on regional and local segment of the spend.
• This is a critical scope to deliver GSK R&D pipeline and to manage GSK product life-cycles.
• To lead the creation, execution and management of the comprehensive regional/local sourcing strategies for the categories in scope in collaboration with the Global Categories Leaders in charge. 2/ support the business by executing the endorsed strategies. 3/ To demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the market actors, their capabilities and capacities.
• The strategies will take account of functional business needs and therapeutic area needs. The strategies will be comprehensive with BUs requests including GSK LOCs (when relevant), and will be consistent with regional or local needs. More specifically this scope will cover needs coming from lab supplies & equipments, pre-clinical/discovery and clinical studies. The strategies will require internal business requirements building, external market intelligence assessment, strategic spend management recommendations to identify cost savings, and implementation of the strategies and of supplier performance management guidance to deliver the financial and non-financial benefits.
• To deliver process optimization initiatives related to procurement process to simplify ways of working with stakeholders and vendors while respecting GSK compliance policies
• Help R&D stakeholders to navigate within the Global Procurement Organization and to position the Procurement value proposition. Collaborate and to align with the relevant Global Categories Managers for R&D and other procurement teams (when relevant).
• Specialized knowledge - This role requires relevant category sourcing experience and good knowledge of the relevant local supply markets. Proven ability to forge close business relationships with specialized supplier networks is required as well as good understanding of R&D discovery and pre-clinical and clinical process processes and (local) regulatory requirements.
• Complexity - For the region in scope, the strategies will have to embrace :
o Need of 3 R&D organizations (Pharma, Vaccines, Consumer healthcare)
o New GSK R&D pipeline priorities and commercial priorities
o different level of business maturity towards outsourcing (from no outsourced activities to a high proportion of budget)
o Need to consider make versus buy from an end-to-end perspective
o Anticipate new local requirements or opportunities
• The role requires full compliance with GSK Procurement policies, procedures, processes, systems and methodologies.
• Align with appropriate Heads of R&D procurement/Global Category Leaders and work in collaboration with these teams to provide local business requirements and market information to support effective collaborative strategy creation and execution. Ensure regional considerations are accounted for in supplier relationships. Execute sourcing strategies for spend categories in scope of responsibility aligned with the requirements of stakeholders and business partners and deliver
• Have a clear understanding of how global and regional strategies affect local markets and how global and regional strategies align
• Create and deliver of effective budgets (Plans of Purchase) agreed with key stakeholders and Finance in accordance with the Spend Management Framework
• Contribute to support spend management and be the regional expert in the spend categories within scope of responsibility
• Ownership of tail management within the in-scope country and challenge it appropriately to ensure no category spend is left outside category scope
• Build strategic relationship with a network of R&D stakeholders, to understand business requirements, identify opportunities to create value and to position Procurement's value proposition
• Build strategic relationships with key suppliers at a senior level and lead processes to ensure value is driven from these relationships.
• Influence key stakeholders and business partners to support strategy development endorse recommend strategies, support execution and agree how benefit delivery will be budgeted
• Manage the supply base for the categories within scope through a robust performance management process. Ensure supplier performance is understood and measured and establish where needed a solid Supplier Relationship Management Programme
• Negotiate, create, execute and manage effective regional/local contracts with suppliers that will allow GSK to maximize opportunity.
• Develop and Implement Operational excellence strategies and plans for key regional/local suppliers to drive improvements against KPIs.
Please be advised that there are two positions available for this role.
At GSK we value diversity and treat all candidates equally. We aim to create an inclusive workplace where all employees feel engaged, supportive of one another, and know their work makes an important contribution.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application/selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements you will have the opportunity to let us know what specific assistance you require. This will help us to make suitable arrangements to support you throughout our selection process.
• Master's Degree Business Administration/Sciences (Business, Finance, Medical Sciences)
• Significant years of experience in procurement or commercial environment
• Proven negotiations and contract management skills.
• English proficiency (written and oral)
• Leadership/communication skills Proven negotiations and contract management skills.
• A high expertise of R&D environment is required to deliver impactful and transformational resourcing strategies to support R&D pipeline delivery acceleration in a budget constraint environment and support growth sales ambition.
• Sound market knowledge of both vendor current and future capabilities is required to acquire and maintain competitive advantage.
• The output will be to refine and implement resourcing strategies for all in-scope categories delivering financial and non-financial benefits (increase R&D flexibility)
GSK - one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies - is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
Who are Global Procurement at GSK?
We are a centralized and integrated organization, delivering value to GSK through partnership with stakeholders and our supply base. Our team is comprised of 700+ colleagues in over 65 countries. Collectively we manage over £11B in spend across a substantial breadth of spend categories. We do this through an approach centred around Global Category Management and through embedded presence and engagement with our stakeholders in local country teams and manufacturing sites.
At GSK we provide a supportive working environment, and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Back to top