R&D Product Development & Supply - Informatics Expert - Future Leaders Program, USA, 2018
- Completion of a Bachelors or Masters by end of 2018 in computer science, informatics, or a related major, where programming was used to solve challenging scientific or technical problems
- Coursework or research experience relating to the management and/or use of real-world data (e.g. development of algorithms or predictive models)
- A minimum 3.0 GPA
- Possess no more than 2 years of total professional experience in related pharmaceutical/ biotechnology industries
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Must be eligible to work in the US at the time of, and for the duration of, their employment. Employees will be required to furnish evidence of US work authorization. Applicant must NOT require future sponsorship for an employment visa status.
Some of the following:
- Interdisciplinary research and software development experience using data science languages (MATLAB, Python, R) and/or object-oriented languages (e.g. C++, C#, Java)
- An understanding of big/complex data (including familiarity with a Big Data environment such as Hadoop)
- Ability to interpret large volumes of data in order to derive actionable insights using statistical machine learning and visualization techniques
- Proven ability to map real world problems to algorithmic/computational solutions
- Awareness of visualization software to derive insights, e.g. Spotfire, Tableau, Qlick
- Have worked with Global Supply chain topics and have a basic understanding of inventory, logistics and delivery of medication
- Awareness of regulatory expectations regarding use of software for GxP business process (i.e. computer system validation)
- Expertise in at least two of the following: machine learning, simulation & optimization, pattern recognition, mathematical modelling, computer vision
- Evidence of designing, developing and prototyping analytical solutions, using a variety of commercial and open source tools (e.g. SQL, Python, PERL, R, Java)
- Higher-level degree (PhD) in related field
This exciting new role is part of the Product Development and Supply Future Leaders Program based at our Philadelphia area site.
Individuals within the informatics expert role will work closely with business stakeholders, members of IT, Data Visualization Specialists and others to turn data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound organizational decisions. You need to be a creative thinker and propose innovative ways to look at problems, by using data mining (the process of discovering new patterns from large datasets) approaches across a wide range and variety of data assets. You will need to validate your findings using an experimental and iterative approach. You will need to be able to present back your findings to the business by communicating your assumptions and validation work in a way that can be easily understood by business partners who do not have informatics expertise.
Informatics experts are responsible for using analytics techniques to model complex business problems, discovering insights and identifying opportunities, through the use of statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques. In addition to advanced analytics skills, informatics experts are also proficient at integrating and preparing large, varied datasets, implementing specialized databases and computing environments, and communicating results.
Individuals in this role need a combination of business focus, strong analytical and problem solving skills and programming knowledge to be able to quickly cycle hypotheses through the discovery phase of the project. Excellent written and communications skills to report back the findings in a clear, structured manner are required. Also required is the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with team members, as well as an innate curiosity around wanting to understand business processes, business strategy and strategic business initiatives to help drive incremental business value from enterprise data assets.
Science is the bedrock of our success and our scientists are among the world leaders in their fields. If you join the GSK R&D Product Development Future Leaders Program, you'll be part of a network that enables us to register and launch three to five new medicines each year.
Participants in the Product Development Future Leaders Program will be full-time, permanent employees at GSK and will enjoy the same competitive package of salary and benefits as other new starters. In addition, participants will undertake three rotations over three years at the start of their career. These rotations will give participants technical capability across three separate areas of Product Development and allied disciplines.
Participants will meet regularly with their line manager to identify learning and development opportunities. Participants will be given coaching and mentoring to enable them to become a technical leader of the future.
Part of a vibrant, global scientific community, you'll work in teams that combine a mix of disciplines. We're at the cutting edge of science and technology, so you'll never be far from an expert who can help you to learn, grow, and contribute to our business.
You will use the knowledge and experience you gain in this role to become a potential future leader in GSK.
We offer a competitive total compensation package, as well as an environment conducive to personal and professional growth. GSK is proud to promote an open culture, encouraging people to be themselves and giving their ideas a chance to flourish.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top