The purpose of this role is to provide process engineering expertise within the Cork Pilot Plant Engineering and Technology Group. The function of this role is to support the development, scale up and commercialisation of NCE's from R&D, to commercial manufacture. This successful candidates will be primarily plant based, and will undertake the following activities: provide process development engineering support for NCE projects, lead plant process introduction and engineering support for assigned NCE projects, develop and implement plant modifications and capital projects to enable new process introductions, working in close partnership with the other disciplines in the pilot plant team to deliver the safe and effective introduction of new/existing chemistry, troubleshooting and resolution of process/equipment technical issues and engaging fully in the science of projects promoting innovation and creativity, while always delivering value to the customer.
Being able to understand and state different perspectives, or develop at least multiple different options for the way forward simultaneously. Being flexible and open-minded to facilitate ways of continuously improving performance aligned with the business needs.
Supporting the efforts of others to develop. Using relevant training options to enhance the skills and knowledge of self and others. Recognising the achievements and efforts of others to develop themselves.
Seeking to raise levels of performance by establishing an improvement process, or setting
specific, measurable targets and goals linked to GSK business needs.
Constantly seek to improve performance. Non-acceptance of sub-standard processes
Enable & Drive Change
Implementing plans and holding self and team fully accountable for delivering short and medium-term goals.
Overcome obstacles and barriers by finding alternative solutions. Seek to remove Bureaucracy.
Taking an initiative (a clearly interconnected set of activities) designed to raise the 'value added' to customers.
Seek to understand what the customer requires. Work to develop relationships with the customer via the high performance teams
Aiming to see issues through the 'eyes of another'. Being non-evaluative and non-judgmental about understanding the views of others, even when this view conflicts with own.
Build strong relationships with the customer via high performance teams
Interpersonal & Communication Skills Demonstrated ability to work as part of a cross-functional team. Ability to work across teams and functions.
Ability to communicate and collaborate with customers and colleagues across the globe, in different time zones etc
Scope of Responsibility
The purpose of this role is to provide process engineering expertise within the Cork Pilot Plant Engineering and Technology Group.
The responsibilities of this role are:
• Responsible for all engineering aspects of process introductions in the cork pilot plant including new processes and commercial campaigns
• lead plant process introduction and engineering support for assigned NCE projects
• Day to day support of production campaigns including trouble-shooting and resolution of process/equipment technical issues and engaging fully in the science of projects promoting innovation and creativity, while always delivering value to the customer.
• Provide process development engineering support for NCE projects, ,
• development and implementation of plant modifications and capital projects to enable new process introductions,
• Delivery the safe and effective introduction of new/existing chemistry, and completion of associated risk assessments
• Acquire a detailed understanding of the technical aspects of the process and the equipment and facilities
• Actively look for new technologies to improve processes in line with business requirements
• Lead/support troubleshooting activities
• Ensure all engineering changes made have safety and quality considerations as core attributes.
• Provide training to the Operations team personnel as necessary.
• Support Process Analytics with installation of PAT devices on plant.
• Actively network with other pilot plants in the IMO organization, sharing best practice
Impact of role on business objectives
The Cork IMP pilot plant is co-located with the Cork Primary GMS facility. The pilot plant was designed to process across a range of requirements in a fully GMP/ regulatory compliant facility. The plant has been in operation for 15 years, and its main function is to:
• Produce clinical trial supplies
• Run primary Qualification batches
• Run validation batches
• Generate early launch supplies
• Scale up and qualification of second generation processes
• Introduction of novel process technologies
• Process development and optimisation
The Process Engineer role is key to delivering on these business targets and for operating the plant is safe and compliant fashion at all times
Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Responsibilities
Scope of Responsibilities
• Perform duties in a compliant manner and behave in accordance with site SOP's, GSK EHS standards and guidelines and relevant legal requirements
• Read and understand Standard Operation Procedures applicable to role
• Report all accidents, incidents and any EHS issues using the appropriate process /system to your line manager or, if required, the Occupational Health Advisor.
• Maintain work area in an inspection ready state and clean as you go to maintain good safe housekeeping standards.
• Be aware of the impact of your job activities on EHS issues
• Ensure all engineering changes made have safety considerations and best practices as core attributes.
Quality Responsibilities/Scope of Responsibilities • Perform duties in a compliant manner and behave in accordance with our Quality Management System requirements
• Participate fully in our site's quality initiatives and ensure that all relevant quality standards are adhered to
• Lead and participate in quality RCAs
• Be a leader in terms of quality culture
• Maintain GMP standards where appropriate to your role
• Read and understand relevant Standard Operating Procedures and Global Quality applicable to role
• Management Policies relevant to your job role
• Attend training and complete assessments as required
• Ensure Quality and GMP are at the forefront of process introductions and changes proposed.
People Management Responsibilities/Scope of Responsibility
• While the role has no direct reports, there is an expectation that the process engineer will actively work in collaboration with and provide guidance to the operations and maintenance functions to ensure delivery of the plant campaigns. The process engineer must also demonstrate leadership behaviors to develop and maintain the safety and quality culture.
• This role will require utilization of problem solving skills as a core competency. From day to day plant and equipment troubleshooting through to safety and quality investigations and associated RCA
• Honours degree in Chemical Engineering or equivalent qualification
Have 2-6 years experience in one or more of the following areas:
Primary Pharmaceutical process introduction and manufacturing support (Commercial or R&D)
Experience in Day to day chemical plant production support
A minimum of 2 years experience in pharmaceutical industry or equivalent
Experience in one or more of the following areas
Process development and technology transfer
New Process Introduction
Experience in the implementation of Capital Projects
Expected level of application of Knowledge
Proven experience in the application of chemical engineering skills to production activities
This is a 2 year fixed term contract
On job description
On job description
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top