Open Innovation Director
- Significant experience of partnering with Regulatory, Product Development, Supply Chain, Medical, and Marketing/Commercial on the requirements for product design and an understanding of the product approval processes.
- Experience in consumer insight focused global healthcare related products / brand management.
- Maintains significant external networks and represents the organization on many topics in the role of external innovation.
- Experience of working with external (open) innovation and development of strategic partnerships/ alliances.
- Experience of driving Innovation strategy as an active member of Leadership Teams and has experience of leading enterprise level change.
- Experience of working in highly complex matrix organization.
- Proven ability to solve complex technical and operational problems in a timely manner.
- The role will lead functions into unfamiliar territory that may cause them discomfort - an ability to articulate and excite others around a vision will be critical skill, especially in areas of 'adjacency' which could transform the GSK CH pipeline.
- The incumbent should demonstrate creative ability and excellent communication skills.
- Minimum range of years' experience: 8-15 Years (5-10 years of experience in R&D and 3 to 5 years experience in a strategic planning, licensing, or related disciplines).
- Knowledge and deep understanding of the pharmaceutical and OTC arenas and fast moving consumer healthcare (FMCH) industries and broader (and evolving) trends in healthcare landscape.
- Well organized and with a strong sense of urgency the incumbent should be a team player with a creative mind, in order to establish innovative business solutions and concepts.
- Strong strategic vision, consensus builder, skills in negotiations, as well as an entrepreneurial spirit will be critical.
- Demonstrated proficiency at leading complex multi-faceted projects and managing cross-functional teams.
- A thought leader and self-starter, proactively identifying the need for specific analyses and programs, and marshalling the resources to evaluate and resolve the challenging, strategic issues and ambiguity.
- Ability to influence and establish good working relationships within the Category and across disciplines.
- Excellent communication skills, including presentations, PowerPoint/written, meeting facilitation, and one-on-one/small group.
- Passion for innovation and excellence in achieving results.
- Commercially savvy.
- Willingness to travel as needed.
- Fluent spoken and written English & Mandarin essential – fluency in additional languages is a plus.
- The External Search & Evaluation Director is a core member of the R&D Innovation team and respective LOCs and will develop, lead and execute category/LOC-specific external innovation strategies (Respiratory, Skin, Oral, Pain, and Nutrition/GI) to drive incremental pipeline growth.
- Must advance category technologies and innovation strategies via robust and principled external search & evaluation approach in collaboration with licensing transitions, alliance management, and competitive intelligence.
- Become category/Emerging Market knowledge expert and have robust understanding of consumer, category, and customer dynamics that will drive appropriate external evaluation strategic choices.
- Key Responsibilities Include:
o Deliver improved relationship building / management with key partners / academics
o Identify and act as the initial primary point of contact with external innovations partners (academics, VCs, pharmas, bioteches, trade organizations, etc.).
o Partner with Alliance Management to identify and foster new breakthrough partnerships with the potential to fuel future category pipeline
o Deliver consumer-centric approach to search and evaluation via strong category partnership
o Collaborate with categories and understand consumer unmet needs to develop Areas of Interest ("AOI") documents to initiate search and evaluations.
o Understand competitive landscape and provide detailed input into category dynamics [competitors, clinical trials, key KOL, conferences, patents] as part of evaluation.
o Deliver category specific knowledge base of external ideas via ongoing internal and external ideation / collaboration.
o Drive fast fail go/no-go decisions on all opportunities.
- Lead and own development of external innovation strategy to execution, which includes necessary due diligence, deal terms, and category PMB approval.
- Ensures that a consistent external innovation system (people, processes, and systems) is applied within the respective Categories to deliver external innovation pipeline growth objectives.
- Identify external innovation opportunities (OTC drugs, Naturals, devices, platform/drug delivery/packaging technologies, diagnostics, etc.) from internal (GSK) and external (academics, VCs, pharmas, biotechs, trade organizations, etc.) sources.
- Identify and serve as the initial primary point of contact with external innovations partners (academics, VCs, pharmas, biotechs, trade organizations, etc.) and develop / maintain high quality relationships to drive future category growth pipelines.
- Member of the respective LOC leadership team to support new project approvals and provide on-going strategic assessment of the external, competitive and relationship / academic landscape. Core member of category strategic planning process as must drive strong pipeline growth (objective to double emerging market growth).
- Lead development and delivery of first pass assessments (technical [R&D], commercial, manufacturing, and IP) of new opportunities in collaboration with category/LOC, business development and competitive intelligence and present go/no-go recommendations to LOCs and categories.
- Collaborate with Competitive Intelligence to provide strategic assessments of external landscape.
- Partner with business development to develop new strategic relationships and deal / development agreement structures that can fuel future pipeline growth.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top