Manager - LC/MS & Protein Characterization
The GSK R&D Platform Technology & Science (PTS) provides an end-to-end scientific and technical platform upon which GSK Therapy Area units discover, test and develop new medicines for patients, and R&D transfers our processes to Global Manufacture and Supply. PTS has the opportunity to make a substantial contribution to improving access to and affordability of our medicines through the way we discover, develop, produce and distribute our medicines to patients. Our combined efforts can advance the science and technologies used for discovery, development, and manufacturing.
The mass spec group is well equipped with modern instrumentation including Synapt G2 with both H/DX and IM, Orbitrap Fusion Tribrid, Orbitrap XL, Q-TOF Premier, QE + orbitrap, 2D-NanoUPLC, Nano-UPLC, UPLC and many other supporting instrumentation and associated data analysis software packages
The candidate will be responsible for supervising a characterization team consisting of more than 4-5 PhD and BS level scientists to support the development of GSK biopharm assets from candidate selection to post-approval support. He/she will lead the team's efforts on product characterization, comparability studies, process development support, manufacturing support and contribution to regulatory submissions.
The candidate is also expected to develop novel characterization strategies, including but not limited to LC/MS/MS, H/DX-MS and IM-MS, biophysical and associated technologies for the support of biopharm development. He/she will lead and/or participate on project CMC teams and/or analytical subteams and contribute to authoring the CMC sections of regulatory submissions.
• A Ph.D. in analytical chemistry/biochemistry or related field with specialized training in mass spectrometry and more than 8 years of experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry is required.
• Proficiency in different ionization techniques and various mass spec platforms
• Extensive experience in developing mass spec methods for protein therapeutics characterization and comparability studies
• In-depth knowledge and/or hands-on experience with 2D-nanoLC/MS/MS based proteomic techniques and H/DX- and/or ion mobility-mass spec experience is also critical to this position
• Previous people management experience
• A sound understanding of biopharm analytical and product life cycle and QbD principles would be highly desirable, along with a broad knowledge and extensive experience in separation science and other techniques related to biopharm product development.
• Knowledge and/or experience with biophysical techniques such as CD, FTIR, Fluorescence, DSC, DLS, AUC and flow imaging techniques for protein higher order structure analysis and particle characterization would be highly desirable.
• The ideal candidates should possess the capability of developing long-term strategies in characterization support for biopharm development.
• He/she should be highly motivated with good communication skills, both written and verbal, and an instinctive team player with excellent people skills.
Today there are still millions of people without access to basic healthcare, thousands of diseases without adequate treatments and millions more people who suffer from everyday ailments. At GSK we want to change this.
We want to help people do more, feel better, live longer
We have three world-leading businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
Across the US, we employ more than 15,000 people who strive to help others do more, feel better and live longer. This work starts one person, one community, and one story at a time.
As a science-led, global healthcare business with clear values, we offer countless opportunities for people at various stages of their careers. On-the-job learning and rewarding individual contributions are extremely important to us. We believe in creating an inclusive and safe working environment and supporting our employees to help their communities.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top