- University degree qualification or equivalent tertiary education qualification
- LL.B. and member of the Ontario bar (Upper Canada Law Society)
- Solid understanding of laws in Ontario
- 5 - 7 years of related experience in either corporate or private practice
- Proven ability to manage multiple, conflicting priorities and ensure timely communication to key stakeholders
- Proven ability to work autonomously and cross-functionally with both internal and external parties
- Proven ability to identify potential impact of issues beyond the specific matter presented; contributes to identification of legal risk and recommends actions to mitigate them
- Strong client relationship, interpersonal, negotiating, and communication (probing, clarifying, oral, written) skills;
- Strong, consistently demonstrated analytical skills
- Well-developed complex problem solving skills; proven ability to take a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions.
- Good working knowledge of how the in-house lawyer/ corporate commercial lawyer serves the employer client
- Good working knowledge of commercial transactions including drafting agreements
- Exposure as a legal adviser in relevant areas of law (including prescription and over the counter pharmaceuticals) whether in private practice, business or government.
- Exposure to digital marketing and/or use of digital channels
- Fluency in conversational and written French is an asset.
GSK is searching for a Legal Counsel to join its Legal team in Canada. The Legal Counsel's mandate is to provide legal and business counsel to all Canadian businesses including but not limited to corporate commercial matters, clinical research, regulatory filings, product reimbursement, employment and litigation matters.
As Legal Counsel, you will have a unique opportunity to integrate your legal knowledge, strong leadership skills and sound business judgment in order to develop business strategies with internal and external clients while preventing and managing legal and business risks. Although you will be working relatively independently within the Legal team, you will need to establish and maintain effective collaborative relationships and communication with other Legal Counsel and key internal and external partners within Canada and internationally, consistent with GSK Canada strategic initiatives and GSK Values.
- Provide legal analysis and counsel on all aspects of the Canadian business by integrating legal knowledge with sound business judgement
- Anticipate and proactively support the prevention of risk and management of issues facing the Canadian companies
- Review business, scientific, commercial, and sales/marketing documents/communications and advise on appropriate strategy to prevent risk and manage issues while maximizing the business strategic initiatives
- Review and interpret pending or new legislation, policies or regulations impacting the Canadian business to ensure compliance
- Liaise with all areas of the Canadian businesses, as well as applicable global and/or regional resources and teams, as necessary, in coordinating counsel to ensure the integration of the full range of considerations impacting legal recommendations
- Educate business partners on sound legal practices and new legal developments impacting the business
- Participate in or lead special projects furthering development and embedding of best practices or expanded legal knowledge
GSK is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. GSK is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top