Lab Head, Microbiology
PhD in Microbiology, virology, molecular biology, cell biology or other infectious diseases and vaccinology related discipline
At least 5 years of experience in Vaccines Research in an industrial setting and people management responsibilities
PhD with postdoctoral training is preferred.
- Good knowledge and understanding of GSK Vaccines strategy and objectives, regulatory requirements, as well as competition intelligence and intellectual property aspects. Ability to integrate this knowledge in decisions and recommendations.
- Excellent people management and communication skills, need to appropriately manage the interfaces with Project Teams (discovery, development, life cycle management), Preclinical, Technical Development, Clinical, Regulatory, Medical Affairs, Global Patents, Legal, Business Development
- Fluency in English
- Able to efficiently manage uncertainty, changes in priority and timeline restrictions.
We are seeking several motivated Vaccine Scientists for our new U.S. R&D Center in Rockville, Maryland. You will have the opportunity to be on the ground floor of a new organization and site, and you will be part of a new culture of some of the best scientific minds in vaccine research.
- Lead team of microbiologists, cell biologists, and molecular biologists to design and develop methods and assays for the discovery and characterization of vaccine antigens, and support platform technology development
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership of the laboratory, ensuring support to professional development and qualification of staff , while reinforcing wellbeing within the organization
- Ensures the team is up to date and use cutting edge technologies and ideas to deliver best preclinical expertise to vaccine projects in discovery, development and life cycle management, according to R&D priorities
- Ensure that the objectives of the team are in line with R&D and business priorities
- Represent the team at early/discovery Project Teams and/or Technical Teams to ensure that the laboratory meet the project team’s expectations
- Provide input to the DPU in order to identify, evaluate and select new projects for the future.
- Strong scientific leadership to ensure interface with key scientific external stakeholders or interactions with external partner in the context of outsourcing of activities or collaborative research studies.
- Enable collaboration with other Preclinical Platform members and foster synergies with equivalent team leaders at other RDC through sharing of knowledge, expertise and best practices
- Provide expert supports to other preclinical teams, but also IP and regulatory in the context of filing of patents, regulatory documents and submission of manuscripts to peer reviewed journals
- Supervise PhD students and/or postdoctoral fellows.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK’s commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Supply Planning Analyst
Christie works in supply chain operations to manage supplier relationships for a facility that manufactures biopharmaceutical products. She handles logistics to meet production demands for commercial drugs.
Back to top