Investigator, Upstream Cell Culture/Fermentation
- MS in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Biology or equivalent discipline with a minimum of 5 years of experience in a biopharmaceutical manufacturing technical role
- Excellent scientific knowledge in Cell Line development & Cell Culture/Fermentation
- Prior experience with in vitro protein synthesis by designing and executing experiments on transcription, translation, protein folding, purification and analysis, to include constructing mammalian and bacterial expression vectors, including codon and signal peptide optimization to improve protein expression.
- Fundamental understanding of kinetics, thermodynamics, and various enzymatic chemistries/ reactions & metabolic pathways for mammalian and/or microbial cell culture processes
- A fundamental and thorough understanding of sterile laboratory techniques and experience with culturing suspension adapted mammalian cells
- Good demonstration of laboratory skills
- PhD in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Biology or equivalent discipline with 0-3 years of experience in a biopharmaceutical manufacturing technical role
- Previous research experience or internship experience in biopharmaceutical industry or related field
- Ability to independently plan, execute, and analyze experiments; troubleshoot experiments through process understanding and team-based interactions
- Previous experience with setting up and operating bioreactors
- Experience with analytical measurements of proteins (spectroscopy, particle sizing, conductivity) and cell culture or cell free processes is a plus
- Previous experience designing/operating skids to enhance biopharmaceutical manufacturing facility utilization is a plus
- Broad understanding of all science/engineering principles applicable to biopharmaceutical and pharmaceutical development/manufacturing.
- Knowledge and experience of early phase technology search, technology development and proof of concept studies for technology development efforts is preferred.
- Working knowledge of statistical approaches (For e.g. multi-variate analysis, DoE etc.)
- Enthusiastic, flexible and results-oriented person with a positive attitude who likes the challenge of working with a variety of teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to build relationships
- Organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Logical and independent thinking
- Willingness to work at various GSK and external vendor sites
- Ability to work on multiple tasks/technologies at a given time
- Experience with cGMPs, scale-up, technology transfer, project management
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills across internal and external stakeholders.
The Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT) group was created to deliver GSK's Manufacturing Technology Roadmap with the global objective to transform the way GSK manufacturers its pharmaceutical products over the next 5-10 years. The Biopharm workstream of the AMT group has identified a portfolio of new technology platform opportunities with the potential to transform biopharmaceutical development and manufacturing within GSK. Activities fall into the seek, select, learn, integrate and incubate phase of the Manufacturing Technology Roadmap.
This role will work with the Biopharm-AMT team as well as the broader process development teams to evaluate different technologies at the lab scale for their potential use in manufacturing.
- Responsible for lab-based experimentation including but not limited to set up (including media/buffer prep), bioreactor set-up/operation, sampling, execution and documentation of the experiment, and experiment breakdown
- Optimize the growth/productivity of mammalian/microbial cell lines and employ a host of techniques to better understand cell based and cell free protein expression as part of new technology development in the Upstream space of cell culture and fermentation
- Design/operate/trouble shoot automated skids to enhance biopharmaceutical manufacturing facility utilization
- The responsibilities for this person could range from gene design through protein expression, purification, and characterization in cell based (mammalian or microbial) and/or cell free systems. Perform CHO or other mammalian cell culture, fermentation and related assays, including but not limited to: cell transfection, stable cell line generation, limited dilution cloning, evaluation of protein production from transient and stable expression cell lines, cell banking, molecular cloning, gene expression, evaluation/design of cell free expression systems (mammalian/microbial). For cell free protein synthesis/expression, the candidate will plan and execute experiments to construct/optimize expression vectors, prepare/optimize cell free components/lysates and optimize reaction conditions for improved productivity and desired product quality.
- Support the technical transfer of data, processes and technical specifications to development and technology transfer teams for the implementation in large-scale manufacturing operations for clinical and commercial development of targeted products.
- Analyze data, present/write technical reports, experimental design, maintain electronic notebooks in support of technology development conclusions and decision making.
- Assist with the development of new experiments and procedures
- Collaborate with existing technology development efforts in the BioPharm R&D community and the wider Manufacturing Technology Roadmap teams
- Assist in training members of the team in laboratory techniques and operation of equipment
- Maintain lab equipment, supplies and equipment
- This individual will need to demonstrate the ability to meet additional requirements (i.e. standing for extended periods, moving heavy materials, wearing necessary PPE etc.), as necessary
- Supports other duties as assigned
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top