Investigator - Biology
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines a talented workforce and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
We are recruiting for a highly motivated scientist who combines primary and/or stem cell expertise with a specific engineering track record in the development of ultra miniaturization microfluidic assay systems. The key distinguishing skills include:
- fully versed in development of microfluidic and nanowell-based platforms
- assay development in these miniaturized systems
- multiparametric data analyses
This role will add key expertise and scientific leadership in GlaxoSmithKline's early discovery space as we expand the use of engineered and primary cells for pre-clinical and discovery applications. This role is within the department of Screening, Profiling & Mechanistic Biology at GlaxoSmithKline's facility in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania. The department is responsible for a wide range of activities in biological sciences predominantly in the pre-clinical drug discovery space, including assay development, compound profiling, high throughput screening, and mechanism of action studies
In this role, the individual will contribute to technology advances and discovery projects in this discipline, and in that capacity, will lead interactions with key internal and external business partners including scientists from within the division, GSK therapeutic area units, target validation departments and other platform groups. The ideal candidate will possess significant experience in applying microfluidic systems to cutting edge cellular systems, and have a demonstrated track record of strategic leadership in this discipline. The successful candidate will be expected to be effective in prioritizing across multiple projects, exhibit strong partnering behaviours, be highly flexible and proactive, and able to build a culture of matrix-working.
- PhD or equivalent experience in relevant discipline, including microfluidics, cellular engineering, printed cell systems, or nanowells
- Extensive knowledge and technical expertise in miniaturized biology systems, microfluidics, single cell technologies, and/or combining miniaturized biology with imaging and transcriptional based readouts
- Extensive knowledge in primary cell systems, cell engineering, and stem cell systems, especially experience relevant to applications in the discovery and advancement of small molecule inhibitors/activators.
- Track record of designing, developing and supporting miniaturized systems to that enable broader application of low throughput cellular assay systems that demonstrates proven familiarity with microfabrication.
- A strong understanding of the drug discovery process and a solid command of cellular assay systems in order to provide effective leadership in a multidisciplinary team of scientists
- Experience of leading therapeutic programs, cross functional projects or initiatives.
- Excellent team working behaviors, interpersonal and communications skills; Ability to work collaboratively in a global organization
- Strong influencing and analytical skills coupled with the ability to problem solve
- The ability to understand and prioritize work across a complex range of objectives, and respond effectively as those priorities change
- Broad knowledge of the target to candidate process
- A peer-reviewed publication track record of developing new technologies, especially in the context of applying these to the drug discovery process in miniaturized systems.
- Experience of leading interactions with collaborators and technology providers, and of implementing and embedding new technologies and methodologies.
- Maintain an awareness of emerging scientific trends in drug discovery.
- Ability to challenge the science in order to establish a high quality, science-driven culture that delivers quality targets, leads and candidates.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top