Future Leaders Program - R&D Product Development & Supply - Informatics Expert
- Completion of a PhD or Masters (3.0 GPA or better) by end of 2017 in a STEM subject, computer science, or informatics, where programming was used to solve challenging scientific or technical problems
- Coursework or research experience relating to the management and/or use of real-world data (e.g. development of algorithms or predictive models)
- Possess no more than 3 years of total professional experience in related pharmaceutical/ biotechnology industries
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Must be eligible to work in the US at the time of, and for the duration of employment. Employees will be required to furnish evidence of US work authorization. Applicant must NOT require future sponsorship for an employment visa status
- Interdisciplinary research and software development experience using data science languages (MATLAB, Python, R) and/or object-oriented languages (e.g. C++, C#, Java)
- An understanding of big/complex data (including familiarity with a Big Data environment such as Hadoop)
- Ability to interpret large volumes of data, in order to derive actionable insights using statistical machine learning and visualization techniques
- Proven ability to map real world problems to algorithmic/computational solutions
- Awareness of trends in the pharmaceutical and other industries with regards to data, analytics and knowledge management
- Willingness to learn about Quality by Design (QbD) principles, as articulated in the ICH guidelines Q8 to Q12
- Awareness of change management principles
- Awareness of regulatory expectations regarding use of software for GxP business process (i.e. computer system validation)
This exciting new role is part of the Product Development and Supply Future Leaders Program based at a Philadelphia area site.
The informatics and data team at GSK is developing a Product Data and Knowledge Platform, which aims to produce a seamless flow of high value data and knowledge throughout pharmaceutical development, transfer and manufacturing.
Current data aggregation for process development activities is often time-consuming, and requires manual data gathering from multiple source systems and data transcription-checking. Collated data is often not made available for reuse, resulting in multiple scientists duplicating data collation activities. Critical project knowledge is spread across many files, such as documents and Excel spreadsheets which are difficult to link together.
The main focus of the informatics and data team is to create a single end-to-end view of product data by integrating data from strategic source systems, applying data quality improvements as required. Development and manufacturing data will be integrated together using an ecosystem of IT infrastructure and Big Data tools, which will enable analytics and new insights from data to be realized. In addition, the informatics and data team is building a knowledge platform that captures key decisions through the product lifecycle and makes them readily available, linked to the underlying data and analysis. This will provide a common structure across projects for capturing knowledge in a standardized format and will enable multiple users across the organization to easily access the same information and build on it across the product lifecycle.
As an Informatics Expert at GSK, you will:
- Lead the definition and delivery (including implementation and change management) of our data science and informatics solutions across a number of R&D departments
- Provide expert technical input and support on data science and informatics to a number of R&D departments
- Act as a “voice of the customer” for a number of R&D departments by keeping up-to-date with their challenges and requirements regarding product data and knowledge
- Work closely with partners in manufacturing operations towards the vision of a continuum of data, information and knowledge across the product lifecycle
- Stay updated on new developments on the cutting edge of computer science, data science and informatics, bringing in those that have the potential to transform the way we operate
- Ensure the sustainability of our data science and informatics solutions through the definition and delivery of business processes and guidance material
Science is the bedrock of our success and our scientists are among the world leaders in their fields. If you join the GSK R&D Product Development Future Leaders Program, you’ll be part of a network that enables us to register and launch three to five new medicines each year.
Participants in the Product Development Future Leaders Program will be full-time, permanent employees at GSK and will enjoy the same competitive package of salary and benefits as other new starters. In addition, participants will undertake three rotations over three years at the start of their career. These rotations will give participants technical capability across three separate areas of Product Development and allied disciplines.
Participants will meet regularly with their line manager to identify learning and development opportunities. Participants will be given coaching and mentoring to enable them to become a technical leader of the future.
Part of a vibrant, global scientific community, you’ll work in teams that combine a mix of disciplines. We’re at the cutting edge of science and technology, so you’ll never be far from an expert who can help you to learn, grow, and contribute to our business.
You will use the knowledge and experience you gain in this role to become a potential future leader in GSK.
We offer a competitive total compensation package, as well as an environment conducive to personal and professional growth. GSK is proud to promote an open culture, encouraging people to be themselves and giving their ideas a chance to flourish.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK’s commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top