Field Based Medical Affairs Head, Oncology
Field Therapy Area Head, Oncology, is accountability for the MSL function across the US Oncology TA
The Field Therapy Area Head will manage Therapy Area Directors (1st line leaders) and help drive a high performing MSL organization in alignment with therapeutic area and customer strategy. Strong dotted line reporting relationship will exist between the Field Therapeutic Area Head and Therapeutic Area Heads. They will be accountable for ensuring field liaisons: spend time against priority activities, possess a high level of scientific expertise and knowledge, support therapeutic area strategies, collect and translate high quality medical voice of customer (mVoC), and understand the US healthcare environment and its impact on various customer segments (HCPs, Payers, Health Systems, etc). They will also be accountable for medical governance and compliance for the therapeutic areas they are assigned.
1. Drive the development of a high performing team. Includes hiring, recruiting, ongoing performance and talent assessment and development.
2. Partner with US and Global Oncology Medical Head to develop and execute regional field medical strategy for assigned therapeutic area; Provide strategic oversight and direction to first line leaders as they drive MSL and HOL activities (including support for speaker programs, scientific exchange and collaborative research) within the therapeutic area.
3. Make account coverage and prioritization decisions to align with therapeutic area and customer needs and shift resources accordingly. Ensure External Experts lists are developed in partnership with commercial and accountable medical leads for the US and that field team resources are being deployed against high priority activities and customers. Partner with TAH to determine how internal medical experts will be leveraged for external engagement activities alone or in partnership with field medical teams.
4. Serve as strategic partner to TAH for launch preparation plans and activities; Ensure first line leaders coordinate and direct activities across MSL teams and ensure team compliance with ways of working; accountable for field team preparation and sign off.
5. Establish and maintain robust Matrix Partnerships to ensure strategic alignment, sharing of best practices, standardization where appropriate, and visibility to the performance of the organization. Key partners include PPV, Sales and Account Management Field Leaders, USMA TAHs, Engagement and Insights Group Head, MI Leaders, and other internal partners crucial to field-team success; communicate and partner with brand/segment marketing leads on field medical team performance/impact as appropriate and in alignment with TAH. In partnership and alignment with USMA TAH, accountable for Stakeholder Communications within scope of Therapeutic Area.
6. Develop plans that drive and ensure consistency with implementation of key foundational processes for MSL teams: Promotional Speaker Programs, Scientific Engagement, Scientific Presentations, External Expert (EE) engagement, Engagement with PBDMs and others as appropriate to meet business objectives and customer needs. Drive the execution of listening priorities and the delivery of excellent mVoC through the field medical team
7. Develop an organization that will contribute to USMA Excellence and Product Development: Ensure mVoC obtained, ensure teams possess full understanding of the evolving health care environment and key customer segments.
8. In partnership with the Therapy Area Head, Payer, accountable for ongoing validation of HOL and MSL resourcing and deployment model for assigned teams (priority accounts, territories, territory assignments, territory sizes, EE identification and coverage, time for MSL activities; Accountable for developing and overseeing the therapeutic area organization budget and resources to within acceptable variance of GSK projections. Additionally, make adjustments to budget to meet possible budget constraints and give back needed for overall MA budget.
9. Gather feedback on organization and contribute to the design/development/planning of innovative solutions; Lead and develop systems to maintain standards and ensure compliance with the FDA and any similar regulatory or GSK processes; Accountable for ensuring all Governance/Monitoring/Compliance objectives and CIA requirements are met and adhered to. Ensure a "Speak Up" culture that encourages open dialogue within the MSL Organization to maintain a high integrity working environment.
10. Accountable for ensuring all Governance/Monitoring/Compliance objectives and CIA requirements are met and adhered to. Ensure a "Speak Up" culture that encourages open dialogue within the field medical Organization to maintain a high integrity working environment. Leads a EERP organization from a values based platform aligned with GSK Values of Transparency, Respect, Integrity and Patient focus.
• PharmD or equivalent education
• 8-10 or more years of pharmaceutical industry experience
• 5 or more years in a field medical management role
• Oncology experience is required
As a global healthcare company, GSK takes on some of the world's biggest healthcare challenges. The biggest contribution we can make to society is to innovate and widen access to new medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We continue to be committed to develop medicines to support fighting cancer. Over the last few years our R&D team has been using 'next generation' technology platforms to increase understanding of disease mechanisms, which will help us deliver significant medical advances to cancer patients.
Your role will be at the forefront of GSK's re-emergence in discovering and providing cutting edge Immuno-Oncology treatments. Our leading Oncology asset is GSK2857916/GSK'916, an anti B-cell maturation agent (BCMA) monoclonal antibody-drug conjugate. This is a first in class antibody drug conjugate that has a four-fold mechanism of action with evidence of high efficacy in a precisely defined group of Multiple Myeloma patients. BCMA has recently been granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation from the FDA and as such we are looking to launch the asset at speed.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Back to top