Engineering Automation Leader
This job is a critical hire for the continued development of GSK's automation initiatives. As the Engineering Automation Lead you will head up a team of 8-10 automation specialists as they implement a high-level automation strategy on the Montrose site. You will be a hands-on manager, genuinely leading from the front, and will also be involved in running engineering projects yourself.
Automation at GSK is a highly skilled and diverse area, and in this role, you will be involved in instrumentation, control systems, system and data validation and safety instrumented systems. In covering all areas, you will be a multi-skilled, practical and influential leader who wins the buy in of senior stakeholders across site and coordinates successfully with other engineering teams in the execution of high level projects.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Act as the technical authority, including development and contribution to training, processes and standards for manufacturing automation systems.
• Owning of the sites special function network (SFN) architecture and VLAN configuration.
• Development of in depth knowledge of GSK technology, systems and processes, with responsibility for maintenance of quality, regulatory, statutory and performance standards and requirements, with a particular focus on Environmental, Health and Safety issues.
• Creation and upkeep of site automation strategy, developing and contributing the output as objectives and KPI's. This includes the definition of process control, software design and validation standards
• Assist in relevant failure investigations and recommending improvements in practices, along with technical consultancy to other departments for elements of the instrument and automation systems i.e. Data Integrity, cyber security, facility master plans etc.
• Creation and upkeep of M-ERP data, equipment, routines and maintenance tasks for instrument, control and automation equipment
• Liaison with other teams in the development of project and modification scope, details and execution plans, then supporting the automation component of project studies
• Generation and approval of functional design specifications, detailed design specifications, source code reviews, test specifications, and test reports. Review and approval of control/automation philosophy, control system URS, computer systems validation plan.
• Responsible for implementing maintenance improvement techniques as required. This includes being maintenance nominee on specific projects and accepts project handovers ensuring maintenance routines and appropriate spares are in place.
To excel in this position, you will be a genuine Subject Matter Expert for automation technology. You will be passionate about instrumentation and control systems and experienced in implementing them in high quality manufacturing environments with a careful steer on safety. You will be a confident and highly adept engineer who understands the business implications of your projects - using this knowledge to engage with your colleagues at all levels. You will be interested in innovation and excited by the chance to contribute to the future of automation at GSK and will be able to lead, train and empower a team of talented engineers.
CLOSING DATE for applications: Sunday 9th December
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
• Relevant degree qualification in science, engineering, computing or similar
• Demonstrable experience of designing and implementing process automation systems
• Experience in a high-quality manufacturing environment
• Comprehensive instrumentation and automation experience
• Hands on experience with Emerson DeltaV systems
• Genuine leadership experience, including project management
• Specialist training in Functional Safety
• Additional qualifications in control and automation
• Corporate membership of the Institution of Engineering and Technology or similar recognized engineering body
• Chartered engineering status, or working towards this
• A multi-skilled engineering background combining electrical, mechanical and automation experience
• Certified Functional Safety Professional
GSK is a science-led, global healthcare company that produces innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
We are committed to overcoming some of the biggest challenges in global health; delivering products of value in a responsible, sustainable way; and providing access to medicine for the world's poorest communities.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top