Are you interested in working alongside 500 colleagues who are passionate around preventing diseases worldwide? Then GSK's Vaccines R & D Centre is the right place to grow your career. We deliver over two million vaccine doses per day to people living in over 160 countries. Our newly opened Vaccines R & D Centre is located conveniently in Rockville, MD with shuttle service to the Metro.
GSK is looking to add a EHS Specialist to their growing team! This role is focused primarily on Environmental programs. The EHS Specialist will have broad knowledge of Environment Health, Safety, and Sustainability (EHSS) compliance programs and specialty areas including Risk Management. The EHS Spcialist will be responsible for establishing, implementing, managing, and continuously improving key EHSS programs. The role also includes strategic EHSS planning as well as a tactical role for site-wide EHSS management systems, EHSS regulations, and industry best practices.
Join our team of four dedicated and fun-loving safety and health professionals in supporting safe and compliant operations at a growing, dynamic research facility. Our site includes a cafeteria, gym, shuttle service to the Metro, free parking garage, and about 500 diverse co-workers.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Support safety and environment/sustainability initiatives in laboratories
- Implement and manage GSK Environmental EHSS Standards for Air Emissions, Effluent & Releases to Water, Waste Management, Energy, and Soil & Groundwater.
- Develop and maintain environmental compliance systems and programs
- Drive continuous improvement in site environmental performance
- Design, conduct, and oversee EHSS training, education, and outreach relevant to environmental and sustainability programs.
- Participate in the internal audit program to assess EHSS compliance with legal and company requirements and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Conduct environmental impact assessments to identify the site's future environmental priorities.
- Monitor and analyze site environmental performance and initiate action to support or correct trends.
- Maintain effective relationships with and provide required environmental reporting to local regulators and GSK stakeholders.
- Participate in risk assessments of workspace, lab equipment, and specific tasks in the lab environment to identify potential hazards and control measures.
- Work with onsite service partners and staff to reduce carbon, water, and waste.
- Track and report site sustainability metrics to corporate EHSS.
- Maintain the wastewater permit through quarterly monitoring and sampling and communication with regulatory inspectors and officials.
- Maintain the air emissions permit through quarterly tracking, semi-annual reporting, and annual inspections plus regular communication with State regulator.
- Provide managers with timely, competent EHSS advice, technical guidance, support, training, and coaching to enable them to effectively manage EHSS performance within their functional area.
- Review and track investigations of environmental releases and near-misses to ensure that corrective and preventive actions are effective, and that root causes are identified and resolved.
-Bachelor's Degree in a Science, Engineering, or EHSS discipline with 1-3 years of experience in environmental management or consulting, or EHSS program implementation, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
-Thorough understanding of key regulatory requirements (e.g. OSHA, NFPA, and EPA rules and regulations) and their application to a laboratory environment, including waste management, air emissions, wastewater treatment, energy efficiency, and sustainability
-Professional certification (e.g. CHMM) is preferred.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top