Director Clinical & Research Development RSV OA
As a Clinical Development Director, you will drive the identification, implementation and embedding of clinical strategies to improve business performance and clinical studies delivery within the region. You will play a key role in supporting the Regional head of Clinical Operations to manage business operations.
• To conduct Phase I-IV Clinical Development activities within a large program or group of related programs (led by a Clinical and Epidemiology Research & Development Project Lead - CEPL) or, for a mid-size program, to lead Clinical Development activities within the context of the GSK Vaccines process in order to ensure the high quality and on-time delivery of all clinical data that will allow world-wide registration in compliance with the clinical development plan, good clinical practices (GCP), and GSK Vaccines standard operating procedures (SOP).
1. Participate at a senior level in Clinical Development activities for a series of studies within a large program or group of related programs or, for a mid-size program, lead Clinical Development activities.
• Where applicable, lead matrix team, to author clinical development plans, design clinical trial protocols, and author clinical study reports and publications of high scientific, operational and ethical standards. Ensure consistency of data within program and across projects. Reporting accountability will be to Clinical and Epidemiology Research & Development Project Lead (CEPL).
• Responsible for the clinical portion of file submission and its registration process, under the leadership and direction of the CEPL.
• Bear primary responsibility and accountability for scientific and medical quality and timeliness of clinical trial synopses and protocols and all clinical trial documents, including the Investigator's Brochure and the Clinical Study Report.
• Where applicable, support or act as the delegate of the Clinical and Epidemiology Research & Development Project Lead in representing GSK Vaccines in meetings with health authorities and the scientific community, net-work with thought leaders and international agencies as needed
• If applicable, represent clinical development within Vaccine Development Team (VDT), Vaccine Commercial team (VCT), Discovery Performance Unit (DPU,) Protocol Review Board (PRB), Toxicology Working Group (TWG), etc.
• If appropriate, support the CEPL or serve as delegate of the CEPL as the principal liaison to Independent Data Monitoring Committee (IDMC).
2. Serves as a scientific and management reference for the project (internally/externally)
• Supports internal process improvement activities and initiatives involving coordination of multidisciplinary working team across departments (clinical, safety, regulatory) and maintains contacts with internal and external stakeholders (e.g., Brighton collaboration working group, CDC, and others).
• Assumes accountability for the medical/legal and human safety aspects of the clinical program. (If not an MD, assembles and transmits timely summaries of clinical safety data for review by competent medical officer).
• Responsibility for Data Listing review for the medical portion of data listing for individual studies, assure medical consistency within trial and across trials within program
• Address scientific and medical issues related to one or more projects. Pay special attention to serious adverse events occurring during clinical trials and potential safety signals.
• Liaise with PV to develop Risk Management Plans (RMPs), Global Safety Data sheets, Development Safety Updated reports (DSUR), and Periodic Safety Updated Reports (PSUR) and serves on SRT (Safety Review Team), on clinical program level accountable for. In clinical programs, together with PV analyse safety and potential signals and escalate accordingly.
• Publishes clinical data in peer review journals and presents in external scientific meetings / congresses.
• Maintains and expands knowledge in medical and scientific competencies (as appropriate), vaccinology and trial methodology
3. Budget, resourcing and timing
• Supports the clinical team to consistently achieve high standards in attainment of project timelines in global programs.
• Interfaces with the PDL to ensure milestone realization and resource optimization.
• Liaise with the Regional Evidence Generation team to ensure alignment of clinical trial activities (includes but not limited to, scientific and medical issues as well as subject's safety)
4. Supports or Leads the Clinical Project Team(s)
• Support or leads one Clinical Project team (matrix teams including, but not limited to, CRDL's, Science Writers, Biostats, SDLs, and Study Data Managers) with a spirit of creativity and instills optimism and a can-do attitude.
• Provides formal feedback, which encourages team member develop their skills. Provides performance feedback on matrix team members to responsible line managers
• Enhances the knowledge level of the entire team by developing project-specific training programs.
• Consistently displays creative and innovative leadership skills while working in a matrix team
5. Provides support to Marketing/Business Development throughout product life cycle
• Contribute to the clinical components of "Due Diligence" and other clinical activities in support of Business Development as applicable
• Provide medical support to Marketing in order to achieve Company's objectives
6. Actively follows-up the product-related Environment
• Responsible for follow-up of project related literature, discussions with external experts and authors, participation in congresses and presenting GSK data.
• Reviews and approves labeling and related promotional materials where applicable.
7. People management
• Within Clinical RDC, contributes to provide leadership, direction and vision for the team of CRDL function
• Provides input and participate in the recruitment and development of the team of CRDLs within Clinical RDC.
• Build and foster the establishment of a CRDL community.
• Serves as mentor in line / matrix reporting setting with an active interest in the leadership and technical development of team members.
• If applicable, provides operational and administrative management to the Clinical RDC. In this capacity, manage direct reports (objective setting, performance assessment, career development); mentor and train junior CRDLs
At GSK we value diversity and treat all candidates equally. We aim to create an inclusive workplace where all employees feel engaged, supportive of one another, and know their work makes an important contribution.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application/selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements you will have the opportunity to let us know what specific assistance you require. This will help us to make suitable arrangements to support you throughout our selection process.
• MD or PhD with ability to independently research questions; sound scientific background required to critically evaluate all scientific aspects of vaccinology / immunology
• MD or PhD specializing in the field of pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, infectious diseases, clinical epidemiology, or pharmacoepidemiology. Previous experience in clinical vaccinology is an asset.
• Previous experience in the field of pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, infectious diseases, clinical epidemiology, pharmacoepidemiology, and/or clinical vaccinology is an asset.
• This role requires oversight of the medical and human safety aspects of the clinical program.
Combines analytical competencies partnering with other experts (biostatistics, clinical, medical affairs, regulatory and safety, and others).
• Supports projects in a matrix organisation.
Incumbent must be a credible clinical scientific expert both internally and externally.
• Knowledge and understanding of vaccines, clinical research, translational science, and biomedical research regulation, including ICH and GCP.
• Knowledge and understanding of causes of infectious diseases, health interventions and the global public health landscape.
• Minimum 3 years industry experience or minimum 10 years' experience working in a scientific or medical institution (if not an MD, prior experience as Principal Investigator, Medical Monitor or commensurate to Clinical Research Scientist position)
• Good theoretical and practical knowledge in clinical research. Previous vaccinology experience highly desirable
• Role requires the ability to translate scientific skills in the field of vaccines and clinical research into business-driven strategies.
• Understanding of GCP and ICH guidelines; experience working with Regulatory functions (i.e. filing IND, BLA, CTD) a plus
• Ability to work well within a matrix environment, balance priorities, and handle multiple tasks through good planning, project administration, and organization skills.
• Effective ability to prioritize tasks and deliver on deadlines, with high performance standards and a commitment to excellence.
• Sensitivity to the needs of a diversified ethnic groups and ability to build rapport across the spectrum.
• Strategic thinking skills and achievement oriented.
• Able to critically analyse information, identify strengths and weaknesses of approaches and develop remedial actions to mitigate risks.
• Ability to understand high level corporate and business objectives: rapid, flexible, innovative working and decision making.
• Needs to possess highly effective communication skills and be capable of presenting ideas and data clearly to various audiences.
• Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English.
• License to practice medicine and board and/ or professional certification is an asset.
GSK is a science-led global healthcare company with a special purpose: to help people do more, feel better, live longer.
We have 3 global businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
Vaccines - Our Vaccines business has a broad portfolio and innovative pipeline of vaccines to protect people of all ages. We deliver over two million vaccine doses per day to people living in over 160 countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com.
Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. Our R&D department seeks to discover and develop new vaccines, to protect against diseases where vaccines are not yet available and to improve on those vaccines that already exist. Part of our R&D programme targets diseases particularly prevalent in the developing world, including the World Health Organisation's three priority diseases - HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. Research into candidate vaccines for other diseases of the developing world, such as dengue are at an earlier stage of development.
When it comes to developing the vaccines of the future, we're looking for real experts in their respective fields who are interested in working in the stimulating environment of an international healthcare company.
We emphasise the value of teamwork and we look for people ready to share our values of transparency, respect, integrity and patient focus.
At GSK we provide a supportive working environment, and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Back to top