Digital Innovation Manager, Americas
As GSK Consumer Healthcare embarks on its Digital journey, we continue to look for ways to go "beyond the pill" by exploring new business models such as with connected devices / iOT's, etc. With regards to this, we are looking for a Senior Software Engineer / Innovation Lead to join our Digital Innovation team. The SSE/IL must be highly experienced in managing complex software projects simultaneously, possess a strong background in technology, and have a deep understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and Agile processes. This person will also have experience working with a wide range of software development partners. This person will be staffed onto multiple high priority digital projects for the business, responsibilities Include (but not limited to):
• As part of the Digital Innovation Hub:
o Provides technology leadership for all components of Digital Innovation projects (e.g. the software components of devices, etc.)
o Oversees development of applications and platforms, working with and managing an internal team but also acting as an interface to external development partners. Directs and coordinates resources working on multiple project
o Identify and track major project deliverables, milestones and required tasks from a development perspective
o Identifies emerging trends at the intersection of Software, Hardware and Consumer Healthcare and where applicable integrate them into projects.
o Determines high level feasibility of innovation solutions and reliably estimate complexity from a list of features
o Form a bridge between software development and high-level product management to translate requirements and user stories into effective software
o Manages multiple projects from small to large scale in a cross-functional environment
o Manages communications with agency representatives, external partners and stakeholders
o Effectively communicates with both technical and non-technical staff, stakeholders, end-users, and vendors
• Innovation Acceleration:
o To act as the "headlights" to GSK by scouting for and experimenting with tech trends - evaluate trending disruptive technology patterns, seek and define GSK business challenges it could solve. Raise business IQ in "art of possible" and prioritize use cases for rapid prototyping.
o Identify an ecosystem of partners, education, start ups and vendors to aid the innovation ideation through to prototype
o Build Innovation Tech org (existing or new)
o Digital Innovation Framework/Process defined and institutionalized.
o Define tech stack architecture, prioritize and build out as a service
o Foster and embed a culture of innovation for our people
The role is rare in that the scope for you to make an impact is very real and you will interface significantly with senior colleagues across the company in R&D, digital, product development and new product introduction. This is an excellent time to be joining a highly successful market leader in the healthcare industry and drive significant technology change across the organization.
• Strategy, Stakeholder & Demand Pipeline Management:
o Work and engage directly with multiple stakeholders across the Americas organisation to ensure optimal delivery within a best fit to company strategy.
o Stakeholder groups will from brands / marketing /digital marketing /NPD/ R&D include Governance, multiple internal Tech organisations and a level of cross-company alignment.
o Work with Tech stakeholders to align and partner to deliver new capabilities to GSK.
o Work with Americas Business stakeholders to communicate, engage & align in a Tech-heavy setting.
o Focus on identifying areas for business value generation and opportunities for innovation
o Focus on strategy (both within Tech and within the broader GSK Business) and industry trends in what is a very fast moving area of Tech industry.
o Identify, clarify and gain sponsorship for changes in project/programme scope - ensuring the appropriate Change Management process is followed at all levels.
• Programme and Project Mobilization:
o Manage demand through from "idea" to completion via team and project mobilisation.
o Work to identify the scope and timelines in which to mobilize a team directly or indirectly. Deliver directly or in conjunction with global teams or create necessary deliverables to meet project approval requirements. Project methodology will prioritise Agile but where regulatory requirements exist may also require traditional Waterfall approaches or a hybrid between the two. The selected individual will have the necessary flexibility to adapt methodology that fits the project most.
o Take overall ownership for the projects and programmes and steer until completion.
o Work with other delivery agents to coordinate delivery at a senior level.
o Remain flexible towards technology approaches to ensure that the best advantage is being taken of new technologies
• Delivery Process: Accountable for the various programmes and projects that are under the ownership of this role. Ensure delivery to agreed time, cost and quality parameters. Ensure project goals are achieved on time in alignment with the stakeholders' expectation. Ability to manage complex projects and programmes. Ability to escalate and remove blocks to progress in a large matrix organisation and with senior stakeholders. Escalate to other CH Tech Americas leadership team when needing support. Work in close collaboration with other team members in the CH Tech Innovation team, to ensure Demand, Support and Architecture aspects are well represented in the projects or programmes requirements and deliverables.
• Governance: Implement standard governance that allows the programmes, projects and stakeholders to manage overall project performance and manage programme risks within the regional / global nature of some of the programmes.
• Budget Management: Responsible for providing high level (+/-30% accuracy) estimates to CH Tech Americas / Global LT, to support Budget approval process at project inception. Accountable for detailed Budget estimates approval at kick-off stage, dealing with Finance and Business stakeholders to get costs understood and approved. Accountable for ensuring projects/programs have implemented standard processes and tools to manage, agree and report budgets consistently in the owned programme and hierarchy of projects. Drive teams to actively manage costs. Look for opportunities across projects and programmes to reduce costs. Ensure compliance of PMs in process. Manage rollup in the hierarchy of projects in the programme container to support the routine programme/ project reporting.
• Quality, Risk & Compliance: Ensure all risk and issues associated with owned programmes and projects are recorded and managed in the appropriate Risk & Issue logs in a timely manner and according to programme standards. Ensure all Risks and Issues have clear action/mitigation/contingency plans defined, with named action owners and timelines for completion.
• Talent Development and Leadership: As a member of the CH Tech Americas Data and Analytics leadership team, contribute to the overall running of team, including the development of talent and capabilities. Assist in developing strategies and setting direction to enable the team to deliver at optimal levels. Represent the team at governance events with senior stakeholders. Use experience to bring new ideas and to identify and challenge ineffective practices. Based on the experience this person will at times be called on to guide, mentor and coach the other project and programme managers with the team to ensure optimal performance.
• People Management: Accountable for appointment and selection of right resources to deliver the initiated projects where appropriate. Assist the line mangers of the permanent resources in meeting development objectives. Participate in the feedback to the line manager to support the PDP process. Managing high volumes of agency workers and ensure the right level of capability is engaged to ensure the success of the project. Take steps to manage poor performance and take necessary steps to ensure projects delivery are not threatened - work with line manager in the process. Able to manage and motivate people in the programmes or projects that work across Americas markets.
• Location: To be effective it is essential that this role is located in Warren. A responsibility of this role is to represent the team at various governance and project meetings. This co-location is critical to establish working relationships with other key delivery partners and senior stakeholders that are also based at Warren.
• Continuous Improvement: Collaborate with others to improve our IT delivery methodology covering tools, sourcing, processes and quality assurance.
• Bachelor's degree; MSc or relevant technical degree preferred. Ideal candidate would have built an impressive hands-on career to date in an advanced, recognized and innovative environment.
• Minimum of 10 years of successful experience in software development and proven history managing and delivering complex projects in a Digital and/or Connected Devices space.
• Deep experience with modern toolsets in Agile environments
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and manage vendor relations
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to align stakeholders from business and IT with competing priorities
• Extensive organizational skills to manage internal and external expectations and project artifacts
• A strong background in technology, analysis and critical evaluation of information gathered from multiple sources
• Experience in creating and improving processes
• Very high level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others, motivate team members, and elicit work output in a team environment
• Proven experience in successfully working in a team setting and ability to reconcile conflicts
• Significant experience in CPG, Tech, Agency or Media company is required
• Solid technical background with understanding and/or hands-on experience in software development and digital technologies
• Experience with both web and mobile development, and enough knowledge to work well with both front and back end developers
• Strong problem solving skills and willingness to roll up one's sleeves to get the job done
• Have a highly innovative mind-set and experience with connected healthcare devices is a plus.
• Ability to work in close partnership with other IT functions such as IT security, compliance, infrastructure, etc. as well as partner closely with business stakeholders in the digital and R&D organizations.
• Ability to develop and maintain productive working links with suppliers and specialist technology providers to assemble and maintain a distinctive and flexible mix of capabilities against project requirements.
• MSc or relevant technical degree preferred
GSK has a 150-year legacy of helping to transform the health, lives and futures of millions of people around the world. We're a science-led healthcare company with more than 100,000 people working in 115 countries. Each year we produce around 4 billion packs of medicine, nearly 900 million doses of vaccine and more than 18 billion packs of consumer healthcare products. Our focus of helping people do more, feel better and live longer is at the center of all that we aim to do.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top