Data Scientist Signal Processing
GlaxoSmithKline is a science-led, global healthcare company that discovers and develops innovative pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare products to help patients do more, feel better and live longer. Biological and chemical data underpin everything we do and with advances in automation and instrumentation, the volume and complexity of these data have increased to unprecedented levels. As one of the pharmaceutical industry's trailblazers in the storage of big scientific data storage, GSK is creating a Digital, Data and Analytics group within the Platform Technology and Science, R&D division to unlock the potential of this vast pool of data. We now seek a highly motivated data scientist with a background in signal processing and exceptional interpersonal skills, to join the team.
The successful candidate will design data science concepts based on signal processing and time series analysis and develop novel algorithms to analyse unstructured raw data from sensor devices. They will work closely with our partners across R&D to define, design and develop proof-of-value prototypes to generate and test novel hypotheses from disparate, disconnected data sources within and external to GSK. They will implement industrialised software solutions for both structured and unstructured data to solve problems in drug discovery and development, working with external solution providers where necessary and will provide signal processing scientific consultancy. The ability to identify critical questions across scientific disciplines and drive them to resolution is a must, as is being comfortable working on multiple projects at any one time, under ambiguity and in a dynamic environment where deadlines and priorities may change. The successful candidate will remain at the cutting-edge of data science and signal processing technologies, have the opportunity to attend/present at conferences and publish their research in peer reviewed journals. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a global team working in a critical growth area for GSK.
• Design signal processing concepts for diverse challenges
• Implement data analytic solutions for structured/unstructured data with focus on time-series data
• Deliver analytics solutions in form of well curated code (e.g. using computational notebooks)
• Evaluate existing machine learning/forecasting models and tailor to the project's needs
• Explain mathematical principles to non-specialists colleagues
• Assess new technologies and facilitate uptake into GSK to solve technical challenges
• Be aware of current advances in time series analysis and modeling
• Conduct regular foresight screens to identify potential external collaborations
• Act as subject matter expert on strategic endorsed initiatives
• Be a point of contact for signal processing opportunities
• Adopt good scientific practices in all phases of the research and development process
• Contribute to short, medium and long term strategic planning for pilot projects
• Raise internal awareness of the potential of signal processing in the decision-making processes
• Participate in technical measurement science reviews and identify critical signal processing requirements and the existing capabilities and limitations by gathering and interpreting suitable experimental data
• Make innovative contributions in delivering creative options and solutions to address pharmaceutical signal processing challenges
• M.Sc. in a STEM field, or related discipline
• Strong theoretical and applied background of machine learning methods and statistical processing
• Fluent in languages such as in Python, Matlab or R
• Experience with development and optimization of signal processing algorithms
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Demonstrated effective interpersonal and communications skills
• Evidence of problem solving using ideation principles and creative thinking
• Imaginative and inquisitive mind, eager to learn new skills and to develop solutions for interesting and complex challenges
• 3+ years or PhD in signal processing, machine learning and information engineering
• Experience of working in several signal processing areas.
• Working knowledge of programming languages such as C/C++
• Knowledge of big data systems such as Hadoop, Spark, etc.
• Data mining experience in the context of large time series and other datasets
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top