Data Scientist: Medical VoC and Text Analytics Manager
Gathering insights from customers is a key responsibility within Medical Affairs. The purpose of the Medical Voice of Customer and Text Analytics manager role is to analyze customer feedback and perspectives from a variety of sources, translate the unstructured information into actionable insights in combination with other structured data, and identify opportunities as well as deliver clear and concise insight summaries with recommendations to varying levels of leadership that will drive data driven decision making within the US business and for US Medical Affairs. This role will be responsible for building capabilities in text analytics and unstructured data analysis and for influencing appropriate usage and integration into strategic planning and other decision forums with actions plans through collaboration with the Medical Matrix Teams (MMTs), Medical strategic planning, Global Medical, R&D, and Commercial Insights partners as appropriate.
• Discover customer and patient insights using advanced analytics techniques such as natural language processing, text analytics, machine learning, and analytic modeling aligned with and guided by the Medical Affairs business priorities and strategies for the Therapeutic area (TA); support the Director in recommending the advanced analytics applied solution for the TA or USMA broadly
• Develop advanced analytics solutions based on an understanding of the listening priorities, business challenges, the competitive environment, and challenges/opportunities for the TA or overall USMA
• Ensure advanced analytics method application excellence with attention to detail and quality measures in place; Share best practices, demonstrate and further develop business acumen, and ensure customer focus for solutions aligned with key priorities for the TA
• Identify and proactively seek out opportunities for improved advanced analytics methods, approaches, and applications by researching industry trends, academic/external methods applied successfully, best practices, and external benchmarks for competitive value; stay on top of new and emerging trends and methods to maximize insights from available data sources (both unstructured and structured)
• Analyze unstructured data collected from multiple feedback sources including but not limited to Medical voice of customer feedback resulting from customer listening with Medical Engagement, feedback collected via surveys and research, forums, online communities, social media/publicly available information, and call center voice and email feedback as well as any other available sources of customer feedback data and information
• Translate unstructured data, in combination with other structured data sources, into actionable insights for the Medical Matrix Team (MMTs) and Medical strategies; Conduct text, sentiment, and root cause analyses to answer critical Medical business questions and produce data-driven stories that reveal key insights into customer and patient experience, needs, and understanding to determine appropriate Medical opportunities.
• Develop broad methodological and approach expertise; Act as a key text analytics and voice of customer expert for US Medical Affairs staying on top of the latest external methods and approaches, current and emerging industry trends, and advanced methods/best practices to continue to produce deeper customer insights for business decision making; Earn the trust of stakeholder partners through active engagement, demonstrated learning, and business acumen development.
• Responsible for delivering timely/close to real time strategic, relevant and actionable insights and for leading Voice of the Customer (VOC) analyses leveraging a wide range of analytical and data visualization tools and resources available to uncover and communicate opportunities; Collect, document, synthesize and organize complex information, making it relevant, understandable and actionable for internal stakeholders. Build advanced analytics business application expertise. Continually seek out and build business knowledge and depth for appropriate business context with analytic recommendations;
• Develop compelling insights summaries and reports that visualize the data through narrative dashboards to clearly tell a succinct story in easy to understand ways; Focus on the key insights/findings in alignment with stakeholders' goals and business needs with proper validation techniques to build confidence in the results; Identify early warning signals and opportunistic approaches from insights gathered; Craft and tell compelling stories around commonalities and themes found in the VOC data
• Communicate clearly and simply for stakeholder understanding; Translate technical concepts into easy to understand key points and recommendations; Use storytelling approaches, simple visuals, and clear written and verbal communication to effectively share key insights that inspire usage for data driven decision making.
• Establish a structure for regularly sharing voice of customer insights and engaging with Medical Affairs business stakeholders as well as Global and Commercial partners as appropriate. Evaluate external benchmarks with appropriate comparisons for strategic considerations for competitive value. Develop and maintain an inventory of VOC insights by customer/patient segment, as appropriate and manage the "playbook" for Medical Affairs VOC to share with partners and colleagues as appropriate
• Develop in-depth knowledge of Therapeutic area strategies, critical needs, and determine appropriate advanced analytic solutions for more efficient customer focus; Demonstrate analytic curiosity and a desire to understand Medical Affairs challenges to contribute to Medical Matrix Team reviews and strategic discussions through insights discovered through advanced methods application.
• Proactively identify opportunities and develop advanced analytics methods aligned with and guided by business unit priorities; Partner with colleagues in Medical Analytics, Global Medical Excellence, and Commercial Insights to ensure appropriate analytics insights are integrated into deliverables for a holistic and comprehensive view to influence strategy decisions for the future; Demonstrate effective communication and drive efficiencies through collaboration and teamwork
• BA/BS in quantitative sciences field
• 2+ years required of applying advanced analytics methods to solve critical business challenges/problems and developing recommendations
•• Proficiency in Python and/or R, with knowledge of basic libraries for data manipulation, machine learning, natural language processing, and text mining
• Extensive experience with SQL and/or SAS
• Experience applying advanced statistical and database skills to solve business problems
• Strong business acumen; Understanding of the healthcare industry and the evolving and rapidly changing healthcare environment; Knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry.
• Demonstrated knowledge of data manipulation methods and quality check approaches to develop a deep understanding of the data assets available for usage in Medical Affairs with advanced analytics methods and applications
• Adept at learning and applying new data, advanced analytics methods and technologies;
• Possess analytic curiosity to seek out and develop potential solutions and drive continuous improvement; motivated by challenging, complex problems
• Ability to evaluate and recommend advanced analytics/machine learning methods appropriate for a business problem
• Strong communication and presentation skills (both oral and written) plus project management skills;
• Consulting experience preferred
• Effectively builds relationships and collaborative partnerships across teams to develop a solution
• Effective at presenting complex, technical information, concepts, and analysis in a compelling and persuasive manner to non-technical audiences
• Ability to work effectively across a matrix environment and influence without formal authority
• The ability to focus and thrive in times of change
• Understanding of machine learning, supervised and unsupervised modeling techniques, and probabilistic models of complex systems with "big data" sources
• MA/MS/PhD in quantitative sciences field
• 2+ years of unstructured data analysis/text analytics/natural language processing and/or machine learning application for critical business decisions
• 5-8 years or 2-5 years with advanced degree
• Healthcare or life science experience
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top