Biology Data Scientist
GlaxoSmithKline is a science-led, global healthcare company that discovers and develops innovative pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare products to help patients do more, feel better and live longer. Biological and chemical data underpin everything we do and with advances in automation and instrumentation, the volume and complexity of these data have increased to unprecedented levels. As one of the pharmaceutical industry's trailblazers in the storage of big scientific data storage, GSK is creating a Digital, Data and Analytics group within the Platform Technology and Science, R&D division to unlock the potential of this vast pool of data. We now seek a highly motivated data scientist, with an in-depth knowledge of biology and exceptional interpersonal skills, to join the team.
The successful candidate will use their deep knowledge of biology coupled with machine learning/artificial intelligence expertise to identify opportunities that will transform the drug discovery and development process through the use of digital, data and analytics. By partnering with scientists and other data groups, they will design, develop, implement and embed data analytics methodologies and tools for accelerating drug discovery and development programmes. Strong communication and influencing skills are a must to ensure approaches are embedded, as is the ability to work both independently and within interdisciplinary teams. The successful candidate will deliver knowledge and solutions in support of biopharmaceutical discovery and development, cell and gene therapy, and supply, liaising with academia and solution providers where appropriate. They will remain at the cutting-edge of biological data science technologies and will have the opportunity to attend/present at conferences and publish their research in peer reviewed journals. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a global team working in a critical growth area for GSK.
• Identifying opportunities to reduce cycle time and increase success rate through use of DDA
• Identifying best approaches for solving scientific problems involving biological data
• Prototyping ideas to demonstrate proof of value either through project leadership or as an individual contributor
• Partnering with GSK's Data Centre of Excellence, R&D Tech and external providers to industrialise successful prototypes
• Working with R&D stakeholder groups to ensure industrialised solutions are embedded
• Working closely with external collaborators
• Ensuring uptake of industrialised solutions within R&D
• Communicating successes through internal presentations
• Representing GSK in discussions with external parties
• BSc or equivalent in a biologically related discipline
• MSc or equivalent in computational/mathematical/systems biology, bioinformatics, artificial intelligence, data science or a related discipline
• Hands on experience applying artificial intelligence/machine learning to biological data sets
• Hands on experience working with biological data sets such as sequences, 'omics, etc
• Familiarity with programming/scripting languages such as Java, Python, R, Spark
• Familiarity with bioinformatics toolkits such as Bioconductor
• Hands on experience with data extraction and wrangling
• Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, with ability to communicate confidently across different disciplines and levels of seniority
• Knowledge of the drug discovery and development process, in particular, biopharmaceuticals and cell/gene therapy
• Ability to identify challenges that can be met through the use of digital, data and analytics
• A track record of translating concepts into working prototypes to demonstrate value and partnering with other groups and stakeholders to ensure prototypes become impactful, embedded, industrialised solutions
• Knowledge of Hadoop or similar is advantageous
• Influencing/change management skills
• Proven ability to work in a matrix team
• A rich personal scientific network
• Self-motivated individual who can work with a high level of ambiguity
• Agility to work on multiple projects at the same time and in a dynamic environment where deadlines and priorities are changeable
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top