Automation Systems Engineer
- Qualified to HNC level within appropriate Engineering subject
- Experience of working in a highly-regulated manufacturing environment
- Proven capability of designing, specifying, managing and improving control and automation systems including PLC programs (ideally Siemens S5, S7, Mitsubishi)
- Able to swap out & reprogram a Variable Speed Drive (VSD) from scratch & understand extensively the principles & effect of changes.
oUnderstand & challenge weighing applications & methods of control.
oInstrumentation (E &H, Micro Motion, Rosemount, IFM)
oUnderstanding of SCADA & PC networks in an industrial environment, for control of plant.
oAbility to fault find network & communication faults (Ethernet, Profibus, RS485, RS232 etc)
oStepper Drives and Servo Drive Motion control
oAble to interrogate & modify, setup drive controls & a displayed knowledge of principles.
- Significant problem solving skills with a proven record of resolving major issues at their root cause through working with the engineering, technical and operational teams
- Experience of leading Multi-Skilled Technicians and Support Engineers in the manufacturing environment, to include performance management, objective setting, coaching/mentoring, development and prioritisation
- Experience in developing close links with key site customers (quality, operations, EHS)
- Experience of providing and presenting data and recommendations to site leadership teams to facilitate and influence timely and effective decision making.
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering standards and statutory requirements for plant, machinery and workplaces applicable to a large volume consumer products factory
Automation System Engineer
GSK is a science-led, global healthcare company that produces innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
Our Global Manufacturing and Supply (GMS) teams are responsible for making and shipping the products that help people do more, feel better, live longer. We employ more than 27,000 people in GMS, across 86 sites in 36 countries. Together, these people help to produce 4 billion packs of medicine, nearly 900 million doses of vaccines and more than 18 billion packs of consumer healthcare products every year.
The GSK Consumer Healthcare manufacturing centre in Maidenhead is one of the most advanced operations of its kind in the world. Dedicated to the production of Oral Healthcare brands such as Aquafresh, Sensodyne & Macleans, producing in excess of 400,000,000 tubes of toothpaste and 18 million bottles of Mouthwash per year for consumers across Europe and the Middle East.
To support the automation manager in managing the reliability, maintenance, performance improvement and compliance of the automation infrastructure for the manufacturing, filling and packing production plant and equipment located in the production areas.
- Lead the day to day analysis & resolution of automation and related issues with the support of operations to minimize production impact.
- Proficient use and championing of the computerized maintenance management system to include management of spares / equipment use and refurbishment, criticality and stock level review, updating asset history to include PPM, breakdown & corrective planned work tasks, print & sign off work orders where required.
- Challenge projects, supplied equipment and procedures where appropriate including provision of technical guidance for the design and installation of instrumentation and control systems, process control, PLC's and SCADA systems, ensuring that the relationship between the departments is efficient and productive.
- Lead and initiate continuous improvement programmes and projects including the development and optimization of operation and maintenance procedures for instrumentation and automation / control systems.
- Project manage minor capital projects where appropriate and deliver scope within cost, quality and time expectations.
- Support the tender and appointment of contractors for the supply of automation services, plant and equipment, installation or Service work for Production operations, such that they contain appropriate technical specifications, are delivered as required and represent value for money.
- Act as a coach/mentor to shift PST's / Technicians & support the definition and delivery of the automation skills training for all applicable engineering staff on site, including development of the modules for instrumentation and control systems.
- Support the development of the site automation strategy and lead the review of control obsolescence & formulation of replacement plans on behalf of the Automation Manager and stay current on developments in the field of instrumentation, control technology and GSK Standards
- Provide technical expertise during regulatory audits and support compliance with relevant Global Engineering Standards, Statutory inspection requirements, machinery safety and Guidance on suitability.
- Support R&M expenditure optimisation by identifying opportunities to rationalise & standardise maintenance activities & purchasing, including management of non-stock suppliers focusing on supplier rationalisation & demonstrating value for money.
- To ensure that GMP, Quality, Health & Safety processes are adhered to in all aspects of role
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 31st August 2017.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top