Associate Scientist/Senior Scientist – Molecular Biologist
An opportunity has risen for a highly motivated and creative molecular biologist to join a protein sciences group in the department of Protein, Cellular, and Structural Sciences at GSK's facility in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania. The primary responsibility of the department is to design, generate and validate biological reagents for discovery activities across all of GSK's therapeutic modalities. The department also provides the structural and mechanistic understanding of drug target, molecular recognition and mode of action to deliver the best molecule.
This is a laboratory role in which the individual's primary responsibility is to design and deliver custom protein reagents to fill the needs of uHTS assays, protein structural determination, and biophysical studies in preclinical drug discovery. The individual should be familiar with molecular biology, DNA sequencing, and higher throughput protein construct design/generation. The position requires excellent communication with members of multi-disciplinary drug discovery teams. These teams encompass a broad spectrum of technical and scientific expertise and the jobholder will need to partner with these individuals to ensure that the best science drives completion of assigned tasks in a timely manner. The position requires exceptional scientific, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Develop and generate protein constructs for expression in bacterial, fungal, insect, mammalian systems, and cell-free systems
• Work closely to enable external partners to generate biological reagents to support GSK discovery programs.
• Characterization and QC of protein constructs and molecular biology reagents using DNA sequencing, spectroscopy, agarose gel electrophoresis and other analytical techniques
• Play key role in capability building and technology evaluation including: high throughput protein expression, gene editing, stem cells.
• Independently execute laboratory experiments and/or advanced data analysis and reduction, integration, and interpretation with an emphasis on providing appropriate context for data and experiments to progress programs and/or platforms
• Prepare research reports, give internal and external presentations, contribute to publications
• A Bachelor OR Master's degree in a life sciences discipline (e.g. molecular biology, cell biology, bioengineering) with at least 1+ years of relevant labatory experience
• Excellent organizational, analytical, communication and presentation skills
• Expertise in protein construct design and generation, including reagents for gene editing
• Support reagent production timeline goals of generating fit-for-purpose reagents for assays, x-ray crystallography, cryo-EM, protein NMR, biophysics, and enzymology
• Practical knowledge of automation in molecular biology/cell biology
• Protein purification experience
• Practical knowledge of gene synthesis, library construct design, and DNA sequencing
• Ability to plan and execute multiple tasks concurrently and evaluate multiple scientific strategies in parallel where appropriate
• Demonstrated strengths in high performance behaviors, such as building relationships, flexible thinking, and enabling/driving change.
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines a talented workforce and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top