Associate Scientist R&D Biopharm (Agile Manufacturing)
An exciting new opportunity exists in the Biopharm workstream of the Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT) group. The AMT group was created to deliver GSK's Manufacturing Technology Roadmap with the global objective to transform the way GSK manufacturers its pharmaceutical products over the next 5-10 years. The Biopharm workstream of the AMT group has identified a portfolio of new technology platform opportunities with the potential to transform biopharmaceutical development and manufacturing within GSK. Activities fall into the seek, select, learn, integrate and incubate phase of the Manufacturing Technology Roadmap.
The successful candidate will work with members of the Biopharm-AMT team as well as the broader process development teams to evaluate different technologies at the lab scale for their potential use in manufacturing. We are seeking an enthusiastic, flexible and results-oriented person who likes the challenge of working on a wide variety of activities. This person should be interested in learning, developing, and applying their scientific skills within the biopharmaceutical industry
The candidate must have authorization to work legally in the United States.
THE SPECIFIC DUTIES OF THE ROLE/POSITION:
• Hands on work in the laboratory with different unit operations, along with working in laboratory scale upstream, downstream and formulation processes for continuous (Agile) biopharmaceutical manufacturing
• This person will primarily be responsible for lab-based experimentation including but not limited to set up (including media/buffer prep), execution and documentation of the experiment, and experiment breakdown.
• Participate in the design of experiments and interpretation of results, and communicate findings (presentations and reports)
• Troubleshoot laboratory problems and take corrective actions to solve the problem
• Employ a host of techniques to routinely characterize the process and assess the physical properties of intermediate and purified biopharmaceutical products
• Work in a team environment, as well as work independently to meet project timelines and objectives
• Demonstrates good lab practices by maintaining lab supplies and equipment
• Assist in training members of the team in laboratory techniques and operation of equipment
• Support other duties as assigned
• Bachelors in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology, or equivalent
• Demonstration of basic laboratory skills
• Basic understanding of cell culture and fermentation principles OR protein purification principles and methods including (but not limited to) different modes of chromatography and filtration
• Demonstrate flexibility to work with diverse multiple projects
• Passionate personality and positive attitude
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to build relationships
• Organizational skills and detail-oriented
• Logical and independent thinking
• Bachelors/Masters in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology or equivalent with 0-2 years experience in a biopharmaceutical manufacturing technical role
• Previous research experience or internship experience in biopharmaceutical industry or related field
• Ability to plan, execute, and analyze experiments
• Previous experience with sterile/aseptic laboratory techniques
• Experience running bioreactors, chromatography columns and/or filtration (NFF or TFF) is a plus.
• Experience with analytical measurements of cell culture and proteins (spectroscopic techniques, particle sizing, conductivity, turbidity)
• Working knowledge of statistical approaches
• Ability to work on multiple tasks/technologies at a given time
• Capability for troubleshooting experiments through process understanding and team-based interactions
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Meet Some of GlaxoSmithKline's Employees
Jasdeep finds diverse suppliers to build GSK’s pipeline. He organizes joint ventures with companies and negotiates pricing rates and payments to build a seamless supply system for GSK’s materials and products.
Back to top