Project Manager, Sr. Facility Engineer
- San Clemente, CA
How you will make an impact?
The role of the Sr/Principal Facility Engineer / Project Manager, based in San Clemente, CA is to plan, implement, and maintain the infrastructure and equipment of buildings and facilities to support Glaukos business objectives.
The scope of this role requires a technical ability to engage with architects, engineers and vendors on facility design, systems functional design, construction, qualification and maintenance, including HVAC, cleanroom, water, backup power, etc. for general office, laboratory and GMP manufacturing space for Med Device and Pharma products.
This role will organize project resources (internal and external as needed) and monitor the efforts of project team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. Oversee cost, schedule, and quality-control through to project closure.
The Project Manager demonstrates advanced technical knowledge in the architecture and construction discipline and possesses a broad knowledge of architectural/engineering systems. This position provides expertise and leadership with the design, planning, scheduling and management of facilities projects.
The role works on specific projects, project management processes and systems, and drives day-to-day performance and progress of projects in accordance with regulated Facilities standards. The Facilities Engineer / Project Manager works under direction of Director of Technical Services, along with consultants and stakeholders to plan, strategize, and execute projects.
What will you do?
- The incumbent will management projects including; scope development; design input and reviews, scheduling and managing budgets; selection and supervision contractors; qualification and validation, handling communications with senior management/employees.
- Develop project scope definition and coordinate with consulting architecture/engineering firms in developing design criteria and preparing layout and detail drawings; preparing bid documents, and assist with contracts for construction and facilities acquisition including reviewing and estimating design costs of equipment, installation, labor, materials, preparation, and other related costs
- Directs the inspection of construction and installation progress to ensure conformance to established drawings, specifications, and schedules. Actively manage suppliers/vendors and hold them accountable for providing services per the scope of their contract.
- Anticipate potential cost overruns and provide justification and supporting documentation with manager, as well as develop alternative construction/design solutions and makes recommendations for cost containment, as appropriate
- Track progress of projects against goals, tasks, timelines and budgets
- Responsible for new construction and tenant improvement projects include ensuring code compliance, safety, permitting, monitoring quality and building commissioning prior to occupancy
- Minimum 8+ year's project management experience articulating facilities/infrastructure subject matters.
- Knowledge and experience with labs, clean rooms and supporting infrastructure, particularly within a medical device or pharmaceutical manufacturing environment.
- Experience with a variety of utility systems.
- Experience with understanding technical issues in sufficient detail to effectively articulate design concerns to engineers, program managers, and senior management
- Experience in developing and managing effective and trustworthy relationships with clients, contractors, and multi-disciplined architectural and engineering teams.
- Experience working with internal customers - individuals and groups - to identify and communicate requirements, develop scopes of work, and set priorities to meet customer goals.
- Knowledge of architectural design, construction principles, facility operations and related services
- Working knowledge of construction trades, especially electrical, plumbing, and HVAC
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications
- Experience with AutoCAD
- Strong familiarity with design and project management software, Microsoft Project
- Available for afterhours support
- Ability to assess facility needs, plan to address those needs including improvements and upgrades to support internal customers.
- Ability to significantly contribute to utility system designs, leveraging 3rd parties as needed.
- Ability to develop gross design and construction cost estimates
- Experience with the installation and maintenance of clean rooms
- Proven ability in listening and interpreting internal customer and stakeholder project requirements and translating concepts to functional design objectives
- Financial background/experience
- Project management background/experience with construction projects
- Understanding of space and cleanroom classifications
- Knowledge of building codes, NFPA, and OSHA
- Project management certification (such as PMP, CAPM, IFMA, LEED, or PgMP)
- Bachelor's in Facilities, Space Planning, Architecture, Construction Management, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
Those may seem like big aspirations, but here at Glaukos, we recognize the deep significance and profound meaning that comes from knowing that we can make a meaningful difference by helping improve eyesight of people worldwide. And because we're a rapidly growing company with a dynamic, fast-paced culture, individual employees here are empowered with more diverse and enriching challenges than might not be possible at a larger company, and more fulfillment in knowing every person and every task is directly tied to making a difference in the life of others.
We offer competitive salary (based on experience), bonus eligibility, medical/dental/vision, life insurance, stock options, 401(k) Employer Match, Employee Stock Purchase Program, generous paid time off & paid holidays as well as time-off to volunteer in the community, plus the opportunity to work for a company that is pioneering a new glaucoma treatment class! Check out our profile on The Muse to get an inside look at our company culture. Glaukos has been named one of the Top Workplaces by the Orange County Register for the past 3 years!
Glaukos Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Glaukos Corporation is an ophthalmic medical technology and pharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of novel surgical devices and sustained pharmaceutical therapies designed to transform the treatment of glaucoma, one of the world's leading causes of blindness.
The company pioneered Micro-Invasive Glaucoma Surgery, or MIGS, in order to revolutionize the traditional glaucoma treatment and management paradigm. Glaukos launched the iStent®, its first MIGS device, in the United States in 2012 and is leveraging its platform technology to build a comprehensive and proprietary portfolio of micro-scale injectable therapies designed to address the complete range of glaucoma disease states and progression.
The company's second-generation MIGS device, the iStent inject® Trabecular Micro-Bypass System, was approved by the Food and Drug Administration, or FDA in June 2018. The company believes the iStent inject,® measuring 0.23 mm wide and 0.36 mm long, is the smallest medical device ever approved by the FDA.
In June 2015, Glaukos completed an initial public offering and our shares are now traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol "GKOS". The company was founded in 1998 and is based in San Clemente, California.
Back to top