Freelance UX Writer
- New York, NY
About the Role
We're seeking a word-obsessed mid-senior level UX Writer to assist the Ghostery team on a contract basis. You'll work closely with our design and product teams to establish and evangelize a consistent product voice. You'll collaborate across functions, including brand, marketing design, product design, user research, content strategy, compliance, and more. Your focus will be creating a language that humanizes data privacy and simplifies its complexity for our members.
As a UX Writer, you will build upon our existing brand voice to help the product design team (and the company) operate more cohesively, consistently, and with higher velocity. You will help set the gold standard for brand and content execution, and you'll establish a vision for the future of Ghostery's product voice strategy.
Note: This is a part-time, freelance role. We will require approximately 10 hours of your time per week, sometimes more depending on project size. While you’re invited to work onsite with us from our Flatiron office, you have the ability to work from home (or a place of your choosing), but would ask that you join us in office during important brainstorming meetings.
- Act as a champion for high caliber content experiences throughout Ghostery
- Create and evolve Ghostery's tone and voice guidelines to empower various product teams
- Craft short, concise product copy that walks the line of being human while simplifying complex technical terms and complying with regulations
- Utilize research, data, and testing to validate assumptions and optimize copy for conversion and comprehension
- Navigate the complexities of a highly regulated industry with creative solutions, clever iterations, and inspired problem-solving skills
- Document copy decisions for cross-functional usage, managing stakeholders, and building alignment
- Present to, collaborate with, and influence product, research, and marketing teams
- Wear multiple hats, helping to work on any project as needed
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, writing, English, and/or advertising (or applicable experience).
- 3+ years of proven history writing copy for products, such as UX writing, conversational design, content marketing, product marketing, etc.
- Expertise with product scrum teams and research.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, know your strengths, and have a point of view.
- Ability to see diverse ways to tackle a problem and weigh the pros/cons of each.
- Ability to balance business objectives with user needs and team needs. You represent all sides of the business and know how to create the best outcomes for each.
- Strong writing portfolio of both personal and team-based work that demonstrates the ability to communicate complex and novel user experiences with creativity, leadership, and excellent execution.
- Ability to dedicate at least 10 hours per week, sometimes onsite
- UX content design for technical and business customers
- Content strategy
- Information architecture
- Brand voice and style
- Designing for scenarios and personas
- Mapping user journeys and UX flows
- Research and usability testing
- Product positioning and messaging
- Marketing copywriting (emails, web pages) and copyediting
- Terminology research, formulation, and rationalization
- Naming and nomenclature systems
Back to top