Manager, Financial Services
Competition Number: REQ 2561
TITLE: Manager, Financial Services
SALARY: Full Time Admin, Band 11, $82,788 - $103,485 per year
LOCATION: 500 MacPherson Avenue
STATUS: Full Time Admin
EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately
At George Brown College, we have established a reputation for equipping our students with the skills, industry experience and credentials to pursue the careers of their choice. As employees, we are committed to creating an enriching learning community for our students, delivering excellence in what we do, holding ourselves accountable for our work and demonstrating diversity and respect for one another.
What responsibilities will you have in this role?
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Manager of Financial Services manages a team of accounting staff in the support of financial services components: balance sheet accounts & associated reconciliations and financial records & annual external audited financial & other special projects statement preparation; CFIS reporting; cash & credit card collections and banking including associated industry compliance (PCI-DSS); accounts payable; capital assets management; insurance administration.
The incumbent provides administrative leadership, supervision and management for the financial services operations of the College within the context of the College's strategic directions/goals.
- Develops appropriate accounting policies and procedures to ensure that all financial transactions are properly summarized and recorded in the books of account on a timely basis and appropriate routines of verifying and balancing are in place to ensure integrity of the College financial system.
- Ensures adequate controls in place for College cash receipts at each campus location by providing staff cash balancing procedures, cash audit count and cash pickup using armoured transport service and ensuring PCI-DSS (Payment Card Industry - Data Security Standards) are complied with for credit card collections.
- Manages cash balances to optimize interest income; safeguards College assets by contributing to policy formation, implementation and monitoring.
- Prepares accurate, timely and complete financial statements externally to External Auditors, MAESD and other constituencies; work with College auditors to ensure that the College is compliant with all government requirements including annual external financial statements prepared in accordance with Canadian public sector accounting standards (PSAS).
- Keeps abreast of current practices, trend and developments with respect to Canadian public sector accounting standards for government not-for-profit organizations (PSAS) and modern technology.
- Ensures continuity of the reporting units; informs employees and develops their understanding of College policies and practices, and short-term and long-term objectives.
- Advises the Director of Finance of progress work, any deviation from agreed upon plans and any matter involving changes from established policy or practice. Develops and maintains relations with all personnel whose activities are related to the responsibilities of this position.
What qualifications do you need for this role?
- Four year degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in Business Administration, Commerce or equivalent. CPA professional designation is required. Master's degree in a related field (e.g. MBA) is preferred.
- Minimum nine years' experience in a senior accounting capacity related to financial management and public sector financial reporting under PSAS.
- In-depth knowledge of financial analysis/reporting, accounting principles/practices, cash handling, credit card industry standards, banking operating, insurance, CRA regulations and Ministry guidelines.
- Extensive knowledge of effective financial controls, financial processing and reporting systems such as Millennium.
- Ability to keep abreast of current practices, trends and developments in accounting with respect to modern technology.
- Excellent time management skills, ability to prioritize tasks, take initiative and meet deadlines.
- Strong, leadership, planning and motivational skills; project management skills and experience is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated leadership in delivering excellent service to others as this is key in supporting the success of our students and our College.
- Strong communication, collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Effective ability to interact with others and deal with situations in ways that respect diverse backgrounds, experience and styles.
- Flexibility in adapting to change and in participating in consultative decision-making processes.
- If you are a George Brown College employee, go to https://adfs.georgebrown.ca/adfs/ls/IdpInitiatedSignOn.aspx to apply via our internal site.
- If you are an external candidate, go to www.georgebrown.ca and click on the "Employment at George Brown" link or click on the 'apply' button to the left of the posted job to apply.
- Please ensure your resume highlights all relevant education, training and experience that are applicable to the minimum qualifications for this role.
- The College requires proof of degrees, credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post-secondary institutions and/or their international equivalents. Credentials may require validation at the time of interviews.
Closing: Open until filled.
George Brown College is dedicated to employment equity and encourages applications from people of all genders, persons with disabilities, racial/visible minorities and indigenous peoples. George Brown College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources representative responsible for the recruitment for this position will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
For information on George Brown College, please visit our website at www.georgebrown.ca .
Back to top