Sr. Manager, System Engineering
- Indianapolis, IN
Senior Manager, Systems Engineering
Job Description :
We are looking for an emerging leader with broad technical experience to lead our global Linux systems engineering team. The successful candidate will have excellent, multi-cultural communication skills, both written and verbal.
Genesys cloud operates across public cloud, private datacenter and in hybrid mode. This global team plans, designs and supports critical infrastructure that underpins several cloud offers, and the engineers are distributed across several sites in North America and EMEA. To be successful, the candidate will empower our leads and engineers in the regions. You will assume leadership of a team of talented and passionate engineers and inspire the team to take on even greater challenges.
This Infrastructure Engineering team helps define our sophisticated system, virtualization and application infrastructure at the core of the Genesys Cloud platform. You are experienced in Linux systems engineering and current on Linux and open source projects. You will coordinate priorities in the functional area of Linux compute engineering. You will coach engineers, peer program, document processes, conduct and participate in "brown bag" knowledge transfers.
This technical leader/manager is a full-stack infrastructure expert who plans and executes future enhancements to compute workloads- whether deployed within the legacy private data centers or to the public cloud; whether a traditional VM or container-based. You will be part of a global team. You will lead and participate in infrastructure planning, deployment automation, and tuning of system performance. Manage a rotating on-call schedule. You will develop processes and tools to deploy workloads to private datacenter (XenServer, ESX), private cloud (OpenStack, Nutanix) or public cloud (AWS, Azure) depending on business requirements and other factors.
You are passionate about technology, constantly learning and an excellent communicator and collaborator.
- Collaborate and work effectively with a globally-distributed team, employing tools and technologies to facilitate communication with team members across distances, geographies and time zones.
- Exhibit skill and wisdom to recommend build vs buy vs integrate strategies for technology acquisition.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and ability to articulate business cases for technical projects.
- Participate in budgeting process, provide responsible stewardship over multi-million-dollar CAPEX and OPEX budgets.
- Collaborate with Product, R&D and other teams to align activities with organizational priorities. You will lend your expertise to cross-functional discussions with the objective of innovation and execution of strategically important projects.
- Focus on availability, time to restore, quality and eradication of technical debt. Perform RCAs and FMEAs to improve overall stability.
- Support and plan enhancements on infrastructure, including XenServer virtualization, VMWare, and common infrastructure services (LDAP, DNS, NTP, yum, chef, puppet, jump servers, apache webservers, load balancing).
- Provide expertise in DevOPS methodologies and tools, and adept at guiding a product team through improving software delivery towards a Continuous Delivery approach.
- Develop chef cookbooks and recipes for consistent server and application deployments.
- Define enhancements to our monitoring of hypervisors (XenServer, ESXi), servers (CentOS, OracleLinux).
- Participate in Operations Agile Scrum process, and manage assigned Jira tickets to completion
- Coordinate and execute scheduled Change Requests in production.
- Write detailed technical documentation.
- Provide cross-training and peer review in areas of expertise (automation, cloud deployment, continuous integration/delivery, virtualization).
- Prepare and conduct tests in pre-production areas.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and provide guidance to other engineers.
- 7-12 years + experience in technology, with experience across the broad spectrum of infrastructure, including 5+ years of Systems Engineering in the context of server Linux HW/OS, Storage and networking.
- Minimum 2-3 years leading technical teams.
- CentOS 6.x, 7.x; OracleLinux 6.x, 7.x, RHEL 6x,7x.
- Knowledge of Linux application servers and web servers, networks and load balancers.
- Experience with server virtualization, ideally across multiple hypervisors, including an understanding of CPU scheduling, VM performance tuning, software defined networking and recovery.
- Experience with HP c7000 and Synergy blade servers, in particular HP VirtualConnect networking modules.
- Exposure to converged networking, FCoE and software-defined networking concepts.
- Experience with bash, python, ruby and other scripting languages in the context of automated deployment and automated recovery.
- Experience writing chef cookbooks.
- Bias towards automating, rather than manual completion of tasks.
- Demonstrable troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with AWS deployments and the varied tools, platforms and applications within the AWS ecosystem.
- Experience supporting SaaS products, multi-tenant, single tenant and cloud applications.
- Ability to collaborate across Development, OPS, Product and Care teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Understanding of ITIL and ITSM processes and best practices.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent.
Ideal Candidate will have
- Experience leading across multiple cultures and timezones.
- Broad technical exposure with the ability to discern best practice among various cloud/premise delivery models. Lead by example and guide the team to make the best technical decisions.
- Experience with Public Cloud services, including those from AWS in particular.
- Experience working in an agile scrum team, scrum master training/experience is a plus.
- Experience working in DevOPS organizations.
- Experience working with microservices-based architectures.
Travel, including International.
Genesys ® powers more than 25 billion of the world's best customer experiences each year. We put the customer at the center of everything we do and passionately believe that great customer engagement drives great business outcomes. More than 10,000 companies in more than 100 countries trust the industry's #1 customer experience platform to orchestrate omnichannel customer journeys that eliminate silos and build lasting relationships. With a strong track record of innovation and a never-ending desire to be first, Genesys is the only company recognized by top industry analysts as a leader in both cloud and on-premise customer engagement solutions. Connect with Genesys via www.genesys.com , Twitter , Facebook , YouTube , LinkedIn , and the Genesys blog .
Genesys is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
Back to top